1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Add a rear camera?

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by Jory, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Jory

Jory Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    This may have been answered somewhere but all I could find were DIY recommendations, and I'm not that competent. I would like to know if a rear camera can be installed in my Prius C two and, if so, where I can take it to have it done because there's no way I could do it myself. (2013 prius c two)

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't see why not. find a good car audio shoppe, or go to a place like best buy that installs.

3. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I added a backup camera to my Corolla in about 10 minutes, in the parking lot of the store where I bought it, using only a pocket Leatherman tool.

On this model, the video display is built into a rearview mirror that clips over the existing mirror and a power cord plugs into a lighter socket, or can be wired in directly. The backup camera clips over the license plate, and one wire is connected to the backup light circuit; the other to ground. The camera sends a wireless video signal to the display whenever you shift into reverse. It worked perfectly first try.

4. djdawn

djdawn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    If I can toss in my two cents.. Installing a rear camera was one of the first mods I did out of obvious practicality. I don't know much about cars, but it was worth doing the research on these forums, and effort in installing the camera to know how my car was put together and how to add anything I wanted to it. There's an obvious time investment, with family, wife, work, school time permitting, but I feel it was worth it. I've taken what I figured out and applied it to my wife's car so she has the same cameras I do now, at a 10th of the cost it would have been to have a professional shop do it.

5. sjkim1991

sjkim1991 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I just bought the car little more than a month ago (I think it is a Third generation), and I am now trying to install a back up/rearview camera with the one that I bought from Amazon:

TaoTronics® Rear View Backup Camera Bar Type License Plate - TT-CC22 - (Waterproof IP67 / Color CMOS / 170-Degree Viewing Angle / Distance Scale Lines / Zinc Metal / Black)

However, I am not sure if this product is compatible with my car, such as the voltage, connecting it to my navigation system/monitor, etc. I also need help installing it itself, like connecting it to the monitor/navigation system (how I can take it out and put it back in), putting it in and connecting it to the rear light through the trunk, if I would have to drill the hold at the trunk or not, how to block the rain from coming in through the trunk where the camera will be installed, etc. Obviously, I am NOT a technology person, not a car person either, so I really need help installing it. Thank you so much in advance!^^

6. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Unfortunately, the original Prius backup system is fairly resistant to tinkering. Rather than spending a lot of money on special defeat-circuitry, I would rather mount my camera system separately, with switchable cameras and a dedicated viewing screen above the steering wheel. Events have prevented me from working on my front camera project this year, but next year is looking promising.

7. djdawn

djdawn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Heya. That camera will work, but it likely uses 12v to run. The signal that comes out of the headunit is 5v, so you'll have to make a relay that uses the oem 5v signal and turns on a 12v signal for the camera. I'm not sure about the 2015 model since I have a 2014C2, but on the harness there isn't a cable that goes into the "video in" pin, so you have to make one or buy a harness for it.
    I used a much smaller camera (size of a quarter) instead of the over the lic plate type, but you will still have to drill a hole into the hatch for the cable to come through. Personally I'd go with the smaller camera so it's not so huge if you're going to go that far. Sealing up the hole you made can be done with generic silicone from HomeDepot or similar. The drill spot I chose is behind the chrome handle part in the following pic, and you can the camera type I chose as well as where I installed it in this pic: [​IMG]
    I forgot where exactly, but the guides and information I used were all on this forum to do so. I want to say there was a dedicated thread for it, or it could be in the giant "What have you done to your c today?" thread.

What did you have to defeat to get a rear camera working? The 2 main obstacles I had were the 5v coming out of the headunit needing to be 12v for the camera I chose, and making a video in cable/port. I also have a front and rear camera, but I have a switch that directs the 12v signal to the appropriate camera with the video feed I want.

#7 djdawn, Nov 22, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  8. SwhitePC

SwhitePC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    um...the prius backup camera system is probably one of the easiest thing to tinker with

other than that, there are full blown adapters + relays being sold in the wild for a mere $35 or so, so since you already have your camera, it would just be another $35 for the needed toyota (most toyota headunits, heck even subarus share the same ) head unit harness/relay and some patience in running wires

djdawn and mertechperformance like this.
  9. mertechperformance

mertechperformance Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    djdawn likes this.
  10. kkim

kkim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model: