1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Add CHAdeMO to 2019 Prime

Discussion in 'Prime Accessories and Modifications' started by wayne penno, Jan 18, 2021.

1. wayne penno

wayne penno Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    I bought my 2019 Prius Prime not realizing fully the implications of not having the CHAdeMO plug in ability. The fastest charge I can currently get is 2hrs on level 2. The CHAdeMO would cut that to around 12 minutes at level 3. All the primes in Japan have the CHAdeMO standard, it was not included in the NA models for some reason, possibly the lack of CHAdeMO chargers available in NA. Now in 2021 we have lots of CHAdeMO chargers all over the place here in BC Canada and they are all free for now courtesy of our provincial power utility. I'd like to put my car back to the standard version that it was originally intended to be as it still is being produced elsewhere in the world with the CHAdeMO charge ability.
    Anyone done this or looked into the options? The hardware portion would be relatively easy to install and hopefully not too expensive. I am wondering about the software in the car, if it would simply recognize the new hardware and function as it is supposed to properly?

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    According to the Toyota Japan site, CHAdeMO is not standard on all level grades of the Prius PHV model. Also, it will only charge up to 80% full and takes 20 min. As for the compatibility of the parts from Japan onto the NA version, I highly doubt it will be an easy plug-and-play. But who knows, it may work. Please keep us posted if you forge ahead with the project. I am sure there are many who may be interested. Good luck.

#2 Salamander_King, Jan 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  3. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    start at the diagrams here - thanks Anatoly

than scroll down to Elektroingenieur posts below

They should be enough to answer most of your questions about modding a CHAmiDO plug into a US Prime.

4. wayne penno

wayne penno Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    I'm on it thanks

vvillovv likes this.
  5. Plugin_RK

Plugin_RK Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A
    How has this project progressed? Similar questions have been asked for earlier models. Black_jmyntrn is currently (2023) working on this e.g.
    My Japanese imported, 2018 Gen2 Prius PHV has CHAdeMO. It certainly is useful, so I can understand others' desire to install CHAdeMO. It charges the battery from 0% to 80% in 15 to 16 minutes at approx.17kW.

black_jmyntrn likes this.
  6. black_jmyntrn

black_jmyntrn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Wait... what? REALLY? That figure completely blows out the water my initial gues.
    my belief based on the 2 hours to charge theRav4 with the 6 charger knock in half for the 8.8kwn battery adjustment would have competed to my 2 hour 4.4kWh PIP... 8.8kwh charging in less than 60 minutes but 16 minutes!

In my head, 50kwh full charge in 1.6hr is what the new baseline is thanks to this info.

Things slowed a bit on my end due to some hiccups, I was able to finally get my photo AI system up and running on my new vm box. With the untimely death of my 4TB WD passport wireless, the birth of a Raspberry Pi-powered little backup box and stremdeck was born. Now, any content on any memory card once inserted, syncs all data to the internal backup disk. since it's on the wifi in the Prius as well,I can edit content for publishing faster... just haven't found a proper video asset manager. JYNO and bridge are good just non-run in a server-based form, it looks like ill need one machine with no VM running Windows for use on a remote desktop-only instance to solve my video asset and organization hiccups.