1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Add factory fog lights

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by Weirderal, Aug 23, 2022.

1. Weirderal

Weirderal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 2012 v Three that I'm looking into installing fog lights, and I see the OEM kit in the PriusChat shop, and similar on eBay and the like.

The thing is, I want to go above and beyond the fog light switch replacing the extra black bezels inside--it seems that actual factory fog lights are activated by a switch on the turn signal stalk (plus, shining a flashlight at the dash shows the place where the actual "fog light indicator" shown in the manual is).

I am having a devil of a time finding the part number for the turn signal stalk that doesn't have DRL, doesn't have auto, but does have fog lights. Installing the auto headlight mechanism after the fact looks expensive and ultimately doesn't concern me since I've long been in the habit of switching the headlights on and off every single time I drive.

If there's a stalk that doesn't have auto, but does have DRL and fog lights, I could work with that, I think I've seen guides to installing the DRLs and they're not terrible since they're the same bulbs as the turn signals. But I'm not explicitly seeking out adding the DRL functionality.

The part diagrams on the dealer websites are absolutely awful. White outline diagrams with short, unhelpful descriptions.

I would assume getting the fog light indicator on the dash to light up would be something that a dealership could program in a jiffy? Even if they overcharge, I'd have it done. I'd really want it to feel like it was factory-done. The wiring and actual installation of everything else looks doable myself.

Anyone manage to pull such a thing off?

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you do forge ahead with your foglight project don't install OEM type foglights with halogen bulbs and regular reflector housings, they are more cosmetic than functional, plus they lack cutoffs to limit glare to drivers in front of you.

Look for LED foglights with lenses or foglights with physical cutoff shields that mitigate the glare problem.

The first pair of pictures shows a projector type foglight that has a physical cutoff shield, seen from behind in the second picture.

The third picture shows a Morimoto style LED foglight with a lens in front of the LED to limit glare.

20220509_111447.jpeg 20220509_111242.jpeg 20180519_154117.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#2 xliderider, Aug 24, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
    Weirderal likes this.
  3. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I’ve run yellow projector with white halo LED DRLs in the fog light housings for years and find they suit both daytime and nighttime needs. Nice daytime presence and sharp nighttime cutoff.

Weirderal likes this.
  4. PriusHead05

PriusHead05 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The auto function might be plug an play since the sensor on the top of the dash works automatically to dim the dash when the headlights are on. That's what my father's Prius v Three does. I'm not sure about the DRL though. I would try a cheap one from the junkyard or a cheap used one from eBay so if it does work, you didn't waste a fortune on it.

Weirderal likes this.
  5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It wasn't expensive for me. I have a 2010 liftback, which was early enough in Gen 3 that one of the wires under the dash wasn't there and was tedious to add but, reportedly, is already present in later years.

Weirderal likes this.
  6. Weirderal

Weirderal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    That makes sense, although funny enough, I did find what I was looking for (I think) cheaper than I can find that part: https://www.ebay.com/itm/114705524837
    Although I'm just bewildered how I can't find others like that.
    The part is labeled as being for a regular Prius though, the v has separate part numbers...is there any way to be sure it'll work beforehand?

Beyond that, getting the dash indicator to work is my biggest concern. I'm sure 95% of the rest of the install instructions are already in some of the pre-existing long threads on here.

7. Weirderal

Weirderal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Do you have any shopping links for the ones with cutoff shields? I'm having difficulty finding any. If I add "Morimoto" to the search terms the prices quadruple to $200+.

8. Weirderal

Weirderal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Update:
    Hopefully the adjustment knobs on the typical ones will be sufficient to solve my beam height fears.
    Got the new stalk with the switch, finally.

Extremely pleasant surprise when I was finished--when turning the switch on with the low beams already on, the fog light indicator on the dashboard comes on and the sound of a relay can be heard, and I haven't even gone under the hood yet.

Now I just need to figure out how to tap into that existing relay the "right" way with the wiring kit included with the housings and trim pieces.

TheTewks and jzchen like this.