1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ADD fog light on 2012 Prius 4

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by hbu, Mar 7, 2012.

1. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  2. J Dunn

J Dunn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I saw those just now, and was considering it, but I decided to go with another fog light kit (again the pic had the right switch, so fingers crossed) from another seller, and then return the other kit. Not only was the switch wrong, but upon further review of the kit, the wiring harness had no way of even connecting to the fog lights and there was no inline fuse. Pretty bad kit.​

3. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Post the seller's ID so others will not buy from them.

Mike

4. J Dunn

J Dunn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    WE0H likes this.
  5. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just a work of caution to all members:

The relay that comes with the Yaris fog light kit is very cheap. Mine was rendered useless after we got some rain. 1 day after getting to work, my lights turned off 2mins after the last door was closed (I set if for 2mins) yet the fog remained on. The relay was stuck & wouldn't turn off. Good thing I cought it or else my 12v accessory battery would have been dead. I tried to replace just the relay but was unable to find a replacement. In a way it was a blessing in disguise cause it would have probably happened again. My solution was to replace the cheap relay with a Bosch 30amp relay & a new connector. I pulled the terminals out of the cheap relay housing & placed them in the Bosch housing.

Bosch relays are readily available at most auto stores & are a lot more reliable.

Bullet Salvador and WE0H like this.
  6. GasSaver1

GasSaver1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    stock switch is like $70. You dont get the stock switch with any of these kits. This is, however, why I paid the extra money and just got it from prius shop. I wanted no "issues" and just have the bezels left over.

7. FishCandy

FishCandy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nice write up fellas. So for my 2013 P2, all I need is part number 53102-47020, and the fog light that I choose. Anything else? Thank you.

8. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    A wiring harness & switch if u want to control when they are off/on.

FishCandy likes this.
  9. FishCandy

FishCandy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Cool this will be my next mod. Thanks guys!

sfv41901 likes this.
  10. osidecruzr

osidecruzr Member / BB #256

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So is it okay to install HID's in the Yaris fogs without having any "burn" problems?

Thanks everyone!

11. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Negative, the Yaris foglights are reflectors which lack a proper cutoff like the projector type lights. They would throw up a lot of glare to oncoming drivers.

WE0H and sfv41901 like this.
  12. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    xliderider is correct. Any reflector fog light should not be used with HIDs. If u plan on using HIDs, look for a projector fog light.

WE0H likes this.
  13. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Here's a diagram that shows the difference between reflector based lights and projectors. Note the projectors have a physical cutoff shield that absolutely screens off most of the stray light or glare that exits the light at a high angle:

[​IMG]

The reflector light at left shows stray light bouncing off the lower surface of the reflector surface and leaving at a high angle, which causes glare to oncoming drivers.

14. osidecruzr

osidecruzr Member / BB #256

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok thank you for the information everyone.

quote="xliderider, post: 1815068, member: 90146"]Here's a diagram that shows the difference between reflector based lights and projectors. Note the projectors have a physical cutoff shield that absolutely screens off most of the stray light or glare that exits the light at a high angle:

[​IMG]

The reflector light at left shows stray light bouncing off the lower surface of the reflector surface and leaving at a high angle, which causes glare to oncoming drivers.[/quote]

15. Tiger999

Tiger999 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    May I ask where did you get the Prius OEM Foglight grille and lights? Can't seem to find it anywhere.
    Thanks

16. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    A
    As in, you didn't read the thread, or you know what to get and have been calling around but no one has the parts?

17. zebelkhan

zebelkhan Member in good standing

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Complete info is in this thread.
    Grill=dealer (at least back then)
    Lights=Yaris=eBay

WE0H likes this.
  18. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I got the grill from my local dealer & got the Yaris fog light kit off eBay.

WE0H likes this.
  19. Zedknepplin

Zedknepplin semper prius

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi PC,

. I also installed a fog light kit on my 2013 Prius 4 Solar. I ordered the grill from TRD Sparks, and generic Yaris Yellow Fog kit from eBay ($39.99). The fog light switch looked correct, but it actually sticks out from the other switches about 1/8" and the back lighting is yellow not green. Oh well... :confused:

Anyway the kit came out OK. I also installed bright LED's inside (looks like a football stadium in there) and out, and installed the chrome lower rocker moldings. I had to completely remove the front end to get to the grill clips and that took a bit longer than I planned. As you look at the photos, you can see the sun rise and set on me. The mosquitoes ate well that day! ;) I chose yellow fogs just to be different. I have to adjust them down a bit. Some pix for you:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Zed (y)

Update (9/6/2013): Noticed since connected relay trigger to brown wire (parking lamps) this means fogs stay on even if high beams are turned on. This may not be legal in some states...

ALSO: Dealer disabled backup beep BUT said locking and unlock beeps options have changed for 2013,
    - Yes Beeps & Yes Flash
    - Yes Beeps
    - No Beeps & No Flash
    - There is NO option for No Beep and Yes Flash...
    This means on the Prius SOLAR when I press AC button on the FOB, I do not get Remote AC ON Flash either.

Update: 9/28/2013

. Even though my door lock/unlock beeps are now disabled (and the feedback lights flash stopped), I found the flash and beep volume level ARE adjustable with the radio head unit (I have the Premium NAV). I think the settings are in the same location in the other NAV unit as well:

Press NAV unit 'Setup' button

Select: Vehicle 'Icon'
    Select: Vehicle Customization
    Select: Door Lock Settings
    Scroll to bottom...
    Select: Lock/Unlock Feedback: Lights (On/Off)
    Select: Lock/Unlock Feedback: Tone (Level |||||||)
    Select: Save

[​IMG]

That's it!

-Zed

WE0H, 32kcolors and xliderider like this.
  20. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Nice car, and nice work. :)

Do the foglights come with yellow bulbs too, or do they come with clear/white bulbs because the lenses are yellow? Also, are the lenses glass or plastic?

SCH-I535