1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ADD fog light on 2012 Prius 4

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by hbu, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Azfalconfixer

Azfalconfixer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you're talking about the white one by the speaker, there is no wires to it. It seems to be a dummy plug for the speaker. I disconnected the speaker and plugged it into the dummy plug and it fits.

Attached Files:

• 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      707.7 KB
      Views:
    Tracksyde likes this.
  2. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That plug is not for the fogs. The fog lights wires would be in the same connector that the DRLs & turn signals use. There are about 4 empty slots it that connector.

3. Get More MPG

Get More MPG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    hmm, thats not what I was hoping to hear... I should have looked closer at it.. Thanks for all the replies...

4. striker308

striker308 Three time Prius owner

Evans, NY (USA) / South Williamsport, PA (USA)
    Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Get More MPG, you don't need that anyway.
    It takes five times longer to get the bumper cover off than it does to run the wires and install the switch.

This looks much harder than it is even for a guy with a bad back, and nerve damage in one shoulder and neck.

5. Get More MPG

Get More MPG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah but i'm a stickler for OEM stuff. I have been moding cars for a good 20 years and almost all of my cars you would have to really look hard tell if the mods were original or aftermarket....

striker308 likes this.
  6. GrumpyOldfart

GrumpyOldfart Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  7. GasSaver1

GasSaver1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Bringing an old thread back to life for a quick question!
    I am adding fogs to my 2012 as well! I received the grill today, the fogs are not arriving until Monday :(
    But I was planning on removing the bumper cover this weekend and changing the grill anyway. From all my research it seems like unmounting the old grill and mounting the new one is the most time consuming so I can still get something done this weekend and finish up the install next weekend.

I saw the pictures of the bumper cover and the foglights earlier in this thread- my question is this:
    Do you need to mount the foglights in the bumper cover before you install the grill or can you just install the grill like I am planning to do and then add the fogs later?

I understand this may require the bumper cover to come off again to install the fogs and this is not my concern but from the pictures of the bumper cover with the test fitment of the fogs it almost looks like the black grill sandwiches the fogs between the grill and the cover which would mean if I went ahead and installed the grill now I would need to pull it off again to install the fogs later on (not something I want to do).

so: Safe to install grill in advance? or More work later on because I have to remove the grill a second time to mount the fogs?

8. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's easiest to do it all at once. However, since you're willing to pull the bumper cover again, then you can mount the grill this weekend then install the foglights next weekend.

The foglights install from the back of the grill openings, they are not sandwiched between the cover and grill.

If you have installed foglights before, you can probably do it with the bumper cover and grill on, but since this is your first time, you probably need to see what you are doing better. ;)

9. GasSaver1

GasSaver1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well I installed the grill no problem and got the bumper back on but now I have run into a problem that I dont know how to fix :(

The drls wont work! The harness is reconnected and all.... the turns signals work but I cant get the drls on no matter what I try to do: manual switch for them, unplugging and reconnecting harness ect. I dont know what could have gone wrong

10. GasSaver1

GasSaver1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Now all I need are the fog lights!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• fog.jpg
      fog.jpg
      File size:
      237.9 KB
      Views:
  11. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Did you figure out what the problem was with the DRLs?

12. GasSaver1

GasSaver1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah I made another post about it but I think it was user error.
    When I reconnected the bumper I did what I thought was standard diagnostics to make sure everything worked (everything that may have been affected by taking the bumper off):
    >put the distress flashers on
    >turn the headlights on
    >beep the horn

So to test the DRLs I put the car into running light mode on the headlight control knob =)(= and started the car.
    At this point the only thing that came on was the marker lights in the headlight assemblies. I ttoally couldnt get the DRLs on and even went as far as removing the bumper again to examine the harness. Finally I put it all back together and was getting ready to do some real diagnostics with volt testing but it just so happened that my multimeter was dead. As I was leaving to get batteries I saw my DRLs reflecting off the bumper of other cars.

So I did some more tests ansd it appears that when I first get in the car and start it (press brake and press the start button) the DRLs do not come on even of the car is in the =)(= mode (I am usually in Auto which has the same results). The moment I put it into drive or reverse the DRLs come on.

I guess I never noticed that this was how it worked but the results seem consistent so I guess it is normal. I am still suprised that I cannot force them on from initial park position. They WILL stay on if I have been driving and put it into park. It just seems to be something at the point where they initially come on.

13. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, my Camry has the parking brake override on the DRLs as well. They come on only if in drive or reverse, and the parking brake is disengaged. But, as have observed, they stay on if you put the car in Park, and engage the parking brake till you turn off the ignition.

14. GasSaver1

GasSaver1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    yeah im such a noob. On the bright side I took that bumper cover off a second time in like 5mins flat

15. GasSaver1

GasSaver1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Didnt do the wiring yet but mounted without having to take the bumper cover off again. This is the kit from Priuschat shop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

16. J Dunn

J Dunn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nvm I decided to read and found the answer....

17. GasSaver1

GasSaver1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Finally done. I wired the +12V for the switch into the cigarette lighter instead of the ecu harness...

Fogs alone
    [​IMG]

Fogs and DRLs
    [​IMG]

Fogs and HIDs
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

18. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Glad u got it all figured out

19. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    They look great. Check the aim on them, if you need to adjust them, there are adjustment wheels in back of the housing.

20. J Dunn

J Dunn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey everyone, so I bit the bullet too and added the fog lightsl. I ordered the Yaris lights from eBay, and the grill from the link in a previous post. The picture from the listing on eBay had the correct switch, however I received the wrong (other 2 piece) switch. I contacted the seller and at first he said the switch is random when you order the lights...I called BS and then he said that they are currently out of that switch and will refund me 9.99.

I won't tell you what my first thought to this was, but my second thought was there's no way a stock Prius fog light switch is going to be 9.99. Not only that, I've looked online a bit (limited to searching while at work) and can't seem to find the switch sold separately. Anyone got any ideas? Other than a toggle or whatever switch? I wanna keep it factory looking. Thanks in advance!