1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Add Fuel problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by elanaesther, May 4, 2006.

1. elanaesther

elanaesther New Member

I've had a strange problem with my 2006 Prius, wondering if anyone has had this.

A few weeks ago, running late to an appointment, the Add Fuel came on. I pulled off the highway and added about 2 gallons. Got back in the car, got on the highway, glanced at the fuel gauge, and... still one bar flashing! Waited a minute or two but it still didn't go up at all.

Then I got nervous, thought maybe nothing came out when I pumped the gas (?). Pulled off at the next exit, now very very late for my appointment, filled up, and it only took 8 gallons to fill it. Meaning, it had 2 gallons but the one fuel bar was still flashing.

This has happened to me 2 or 3 times since then - I add a small amount of fuel and I still get the 'Add Fuel' till I fill it up completely.

Is this a known problem? Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks!

2. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think I heard that one must add 3 gallons or more at a fuel up for the fuel gauge to notice the difference. Ie: it will still think it's at or near empty if you only put in 1 or 2 gallons (the size of most portable gas cans).

The fuel tank in the Prius is actually an expandable bladder. It's supposed to hold 11.9 gallons (emphasis on supposed), but many people have fueled up when the last bar is blinking and haven't been able to put more than ~9 gallons of gas in before the pump shut off. Personally I've never been able to put more than 8.5 gallons in at any one time.

Many people on here have run out of gas in the Prius because they assumed there were several gallons left in the tank when they saw that last flashing bar, then when they fueled up the Prius on an empty tank only managed to get in ~9-10 gallons TOPS before the pump shut off.

3. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I had a problem with the gas gauge not resetting, I had left the car running.... I turned off the car and it reset it self... problem solved.

4. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rancid13 @ May 4 2006, 12:07 PM) [snapback]249722[/snapback]</div>
    Actually you can find this listed in the car's manual - needing to add 3+ gallons before the fuel gauge will notice that gas was added. There was at least one report on this forum of running out of gas and the car would not attempt to restart when a one gallon can was dumped into the tank. If I remember correctly, the owner was told by Toyota that he needed to add something like 4 gallons before he could restart. That behaviour is NOT mentioned in the manual (it just says don't run out of gas). So if you are walking for gas, take a large can with you or be prepared for several trips.

- Tom

5. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom_06 @ May 4 2006, 10:32 AM) [snapback]249765[/snapback]</div>
    From my actual experience, you only need some number close to ONE (1) gallon of gas to get the gas engine to start again if you run out of gas. However, the red triangle and the warning lights will not go away until you put in at least 3.