1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Add OEM backup camera to base '06

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by pboo, Jun 1, 2017.

1. pboo

pboo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all,

I have been combing through this forum for a few days to try to find out if anyone has attempted this. I recently came across a base '06 Prius for a steal pretty much. No backup, no nav, no sks. However I would love to have the back up camera. I thought I could do without it, but the Prius's rear windshield is quite challenging. I noticed that used parts for this car are not too expensive so what I wanted to know is if I could just replace my current MFD with an MFD from a Prius that has a back up camera and install an used OEM camera and it would be plug and play since it was an option in '06. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. I apologize in advanced if this subject has already been discussed. I found nothing relating to the matter in my search. Thanks!

2. Zaklax92

Zaklax92 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Following

3. peecee

peecee Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have an extra factory backup camera I can send you. If you pull the rear lower cover off, there should be a plug mounted on the driver's side (left) of the hatch, and there might be a rectangle cutout with two screw holes behind the center pull. They may be plugged if it didn't come with a camera, or the hatch may not have any holes at all. I've heard the wiring is the same either way in the 2006-2009 Prius models. I believe you just need a different MFD (one from a car with a backup camera), but I may be incorrect with that info.

4. OBJUAN

OBJUAN Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base

New
    I just installed (today Aug 11/18) a 86110-47210 MFD into my base 05, replacing the original "47080 MFD".
    ITbland's M13 pin out data was perfect, re attached. The big wires came out easy but the violet
    on pin 25 was stubborn. I used a very fine jewellers screw driver. Make sure
    the locking bar is out, then push the screw driver firmly into the hole closest to the
    edge and it will pop. Then you can pull out the violet wire. I'm still sorting out the REV+
    line for pin 21....

I've ordered some shielded 3 core cable from aliexpress for the camera feed.
    Still figuring out the mount since there is no factory hole in the hatch for the camera.
    It's aluminum so magnets won't help to hold it in place. A picture, with minimal parallax,
    of a hatch showing the camera hole and the two holes near it for mounting the plastic piece
    that holds the backup lights and door lock release would be a great help to make a template.....

Attached Files:

5. OBJUAN

OBJUAN Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Today I put in a 86110-47210 MFD in my 05 prius.
    M13 connector must be rewired. Basically pop out the required pins and
    pop them back into the new locations. Instruction were related to the 47230 MFD
    from user ITBland but they did match my 47210 and works correctly.

The hatch does not have a hole for the camera, it is there on the plastic trim.
    Any chance you can post a photo? The camera hole, screw mounts and the two holes
    nearby used to mount the plastic trim with the backup lights and hatch release button.

I can scale it, make a template, paste it to the hatch and using a nibbler carve out the
    hole.

6. terki

terki Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

7. terki

terki Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello Guys,

I have a second gen 2006 with Navigation, hands-free, key-less entry - so I guess that it means I have high-res MFD.

Will be doing a trunk switch replacement soon, and I thought I will add OEM camera while I'm at it.

If I will find the harness with the socket inside the panel, does it mean it will work out of the box [plug and play?] Or do I still need to do something with the software or the display...

Thanks!

doctor126 likes this.
  8. doctor126

doctor126 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  9. OBJUAN

OBJUAN Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    If the hole in the back hatch is there then the harness is probably there.
    That makes the install simple, no software. If the harness is complete
    the MDF will detect when you put it in reverse and switch on the camera system.

I didn't have the high def MDF, hole in the hatch or the harness. Loads of fun.....but it all works:OP