1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Add Refrigerant to A/C (Hybrid r-134 vs "no oil")

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SLO Cat Wrangler, Aug 21, 2015.

1. SLO Cat Wrangler

SLO Cat Wrangler Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hello everyone,

I have a 2008 hybrid that has lost it cooling power. I wanted to add some r-134 but the links that I find that discuss this talk about getting a "no oil" r-134. Well most of these posts are a little older and now when I look I find things that are specific for hybrid electric compressors.

Amazon.com: A/C PRO (HYB-134A) R134a Refrigerant Refill - 12 oz.: Automotive

Amazon.com: FJC 9148 Oil Charge - 4 oz.: Automotive

But in the description these products do note that they contain something.
    • Restores lost oil and boosts cooling system
    • FJC R134A hybrid vehicle oil charge 4 oz. Contains 2 oz. R134a and 2 oz. Hybrid vehicle a/c lubricant.
    So do I look for something that specifically says "no oil or lubricant" or go with something that is "safe for hybrid" vehicles?

How much should I get (1 can, 3 cans, 5 cans. etc.) for a car who's A/C is working but just not enough?

Also anyone got a link to the manual section for a/c on the second generation vehicles?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You only need one can of R-134a, without lubricating oil. At minimum you need the pressure gauge that comes with some dispensing hoses so that you do not overfill the low pressure side. Consult techinfo for information on the allowable low and high pressure specs because the low pressure spec is lower than most vehicles.

3. SLO Cat Wrangler

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks Patrick. Can you find a link to a product that is without lubricating oil for me to look at? I have talked to several parts stores and most point to the product with lubricant for Hybrid vehicles (contains a electrical neutral lubricant I suspect to be compatible with an electric compressor pump?)

4. Hokie-Dave

Hokie-Dave Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm not Patrick, but here are two that I found on Amazon.

Dupont Brand

Johnsen's Brand This is a brand that someone said they used on another hybrid site.

5. SLO Cat Wrangler

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for the help and the links not-Patrick. Great find. Looks like the Johnsen's Brand won't ship to CA, but the Dupont Brand does not say anything about that.

I can see why 5-10 years ago when all the r-134 had oils that were meant for mechanically driven compressors getting the r-134 without lubricant was important (maybe it was too heavy for the electric compressor leading to too much heat or work on the hybrid system or maybe would conduct static electricity which would be bad some how? Here is something to read that seems to go into better depth macsworldwide.wordpress.com/2012/03/30/use-caution-when-recharging-ac-systems-on-hybrid-vehicles) But now there are several brands that report they are compatible with electrically driven compressors.

I guess if I want the least complications then the stuff without lubricant, but maybe the ok hybrid containers would be ok too.

#5 SLO Cat Wrangler, Aug 21, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  6. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  7. SLO Cat Wrangler

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for the link. Cost isn't too much of an issue ($10-$30 for one can I can deal with). And I got a manifold (Mountain 8205 R-134a Brass Manifold Gauge Set with Couplers) and an a screw in adapter for the can that should make it all work out. Thanks for the link to what you used. We don't have walmart around here.

8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Make sure that your existing equipment has NOT been used on a standard system previously. You do not want to cross-contaminate your Prius system.

9. SLO Cat Wrangler

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Just a follow up. Pulled car into garage and hooked up manifold (it was new and has not been used on any system). Temp out side about 70-73F. Humidity 84%. Started up the car and took a look at the gauges. The high side seemed a little low but the low side was within the range (see picture below). Hooked up my can of R134a and opened the low side valve. Charged until I got the high side up to about 215 psi (trying to stay below the top end just in case). Unhooked everything and took for a test drive. System still cooling but the one thing that I'm concerned about is that the temp at the central vent from my reading should be a little lower. Maybe 5-8 degrees F. My reference says at 70 ambient air with the a/c in recirculating mode and the doors opened it should be in the 27-38F range.

Does this seem like I did everything correctly?

Attached Files:

#9 SLO Cat Wrangler, Aug 27, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  10. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It seems like you did everything correctly. Since the output temperature is a bit high, that indicates the system efficiency is below par.

11. SLO Cat Wrangler

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Interesting. Wonder why it is below par? Filter in the cabin is clean