1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Add used solar roof

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Frontporch, Apr 12, 2020.

1. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I remember a spate of news stories a few years ago about vehicles with 'panoramic sunroofs' (or moonroofs)—think big slabs of glass on top of late-model land yachts—failing without warning and in spectacular fashion.

I might have missed some stories about similar things happening in Prii; it's not a 'panoramic'-size slab of glass, but it's still glass.

Edit: ah yes, there's an article, from 2017.

I had misremembered about it being more with big vehicles. Looks like the two top models are tC and Veloster; not big cars, but with really big designer slabs of glass.

#21 ChapmanF, Apr 13, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  2. Minima Domum

Minima Domum Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    You can get universal aftermarket sunroofs fitted to most cars fairly easily, I have one in my van. While nowhere near as nice as the factory panoramic one it will allow you to have the open roof feeling for a lot less money.

fotomoto likes this.
  3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you're talking about trying to do this with a 2007 Prius, your profile says 2007 Prius, I wouldn't even try, that's cross Generations, I don't think it could be done, and the effort wouldn't be worth it.
    If you're talking about Gen 3 to Gen 3, guess what? I still wouldn't even try.

If you're really committed to adding a sunroof. I think your best bet would be to investigate aftermarket options, and try to find a QUALITY aftermarket installer.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't know if I'd call the one in the Prius 'panoramic' at all. It's pretty much ordinary-sunroof-sized.

For comparison, look what they're talking about with the Veloster:

[​IMG]

Now that is a slab of glass on the roof.

5. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just asking for opinion.
    My Dad puts those window vents on his vehicles. Just automatically when he buys them.

But I never see much advantage. I don't get why people like them so much.

We both live in the Northwest, so lots of rain. His contention is you can crack your window, and let more airflow in, without rain.

This seems like a pretty small benefit. Because I can either turn on my cabin fan, leaving my windows rolled up, and/or crack my window while driving and most often the rain isn't a problem.

I would also think those window vents would reek havoc with automobile aerodynamics. But I don't have a wind tunnel so I can't prove this.

Not trying to upset people that like them. Like I said, my Dad swears by their value. I just don't really see it.

6. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Could be that you don’t have to leave your car on ready for hours just to keep the cabin fan on. Vehicle thief would be increased with your method.

7. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    He said: "while driving".
    :rolleyes:

8. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well my Dad isn't driving a Prius.
    So when I talk about turning the Cabin Fan on, I mean while driving in the rain, if I feel I want ventilation.
    My Dad professes benefit to being able to crack his window while driving and not letting rain in.
    It's never been a big problem for me to crack the window, even if raining, even without the window visors.
    If the rain is coming in too much? I close the window and turn on the fan.

Parked during the summer. Prius II-no automatic ventilation system, to today, Honda Fit. I just crack my windows and use a sunshade. For the most part, that keeps things "equitable" as far as heat build up in the cabin. Again...sans window visors.

9. Minima Domum

Minima Domum Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    I find the window visors more useful while parked, I can leave my windows down an inch to have some airflow while parked but passers by can't see that they're open and also rain can't get in, it's even more important while camping because I sleep in the car and this stops the windows from fogging up.

The Electric Me likes this.
  10. Maarten28

Maarten28 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think it was mostly used by smokers who could crack a window and let the smoke out.
    For normal driving in modern cars, especially with A/C, there is absolutely no need to crack a window and they will cause more fuel consumption because of the aerodynamics.

Sure, I roll the windows down sometimes when it's hot to get some airflow so I don't have to use the A/C, but I don't do that when there is rain coming in and I don't miss open windows when that happens.

11. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    As you say, cracking the windows and using a sunshade does a good job of reducing cabin temperatures while parked. The advantage of the vent visors is that when you do that, you don't have to worry about running out to close the windows when it rains. They also allow for you to crack the windows a little wider than you would without them, which further helps with cooling.
    For me, there's no advantage to having the vent visors while driving. Maybe your father just prefers fresh air venting via the windows vs through the climate control.