1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Add your EV etiquette tips for new drivers..

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Team ChargePoint, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Team ChargePoint

Team ChargePoint Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    What should new EV drivers know when it comes to EV etiquette at charging stations, and what can we all do to coexist with ICE drivers (and each other) in this evolving space? Here are our tips.

1. Move along (and don't squat)
    When you’re done charging, try to move your car as soon as you’re able, so others can fill up their EVs. Taking up a spot for hours is inconsiderate to other EV drivers because it prevents them from getting a charge. And don't be the EV driver who treats charging spots as a personal all-day parking spot—EV charging spots are for charging, not parking.

If the charging station offers notifications, reminders, a waitlist, or other features to help you get in & get out - use them. Some station owners can set a fee for parking or charging after a few hours, to encourage drivers to move along after getting some juice.

2. Don’t unplug others
    It’s really not polite to unplug other EV drivers from charging stations. Try to avoid it unless you’re sure someone is charged and you’re absolutely desperate to fill up, or if someone left a note saying it’s fine to unplug them. Sometimes, people think it's okay to unplug plug-in hybrid (PHEV) drivers, since they have a backup gas engine. It's often debated within the EV community, but these folks have a right to charge, too.

3. Don’t always aim for 100%
    This might be helpful for new EV drivers. Topping off around town is a convenient way to keep your battery full or nearly so. But if you have 80 or 90 percent battery and start a charge, someone might pull up soon who’s at 10 percent and desperately in need. So if your battery is pretty full (or if you drive a PHEV and can count on your gas engine in a pinch), consider just getting a charge later or at home, unless you really need the extra miles to get where you're going.

This rule also comes into play for DC fast charging, which slows down as your battery gets more full— we usually suggest aiming for 80 percent when fast charging.

4. Be nice when ICEd
    Drivers of ICE vehicles sometimes park in spots designated for clean air vehicles or EV charging. Leave a friendly note educating ICE drivers and encouraging them not to take an EV spot again.

What other EV etiquette tips would you add to the list?

2. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't hold up traffic if you want to hypermile.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  3. triggerhappy007

triggerhappy007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Base
    If there is a cord hanger, wrap the cord around several times. And don't leave the cord laying across a sidewalk when you're done charging.

4. Team ChargePoint

Team ChargePoint Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Fantastic tip, and I believe it's the first time I've (personally) heard it! It's one of those situations that seems completely obvious but happens often. Thanks for sharing!

5. BrettEG

BrettEG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    New to the PlugIn world - do people actually do this? If so, Wth?

6. LoraJ

LoraJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I am getting a Prius Prime and wanted to thank you all for the tips.
    At my workplace charging station, we can get notified when it is finished and I plan on moving the car when it is done, or maybe even start charging after my lunch break depending on what I am working on.

I will soon be getting monthly parking at a lot that has about 15 free EVGo charging spots and I only ever see one or 2 cars there, so I am assuming, for now, I can just leave my car there from the time I get home from work until I leave the next day. Until those spots start to fill up.

triggerhappy007 likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Recognize that if you're in a plug-in hybrid, you have lots of options: give charging priority to pure-electric vehicles.

8. triggerhappy007

triggerhappy007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Base
    Or just plug in and use a card like this:
    The EVCard - Plug In AmericaPlug In America

Mendel Leisk likes this.