1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Added an amp, now the beeps are louder...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by bobc, Mar 3, 2005.

1. bobc

bobc New Member

Hi folks,

There was this thread about this happening with mention of an easy fix to get the beeps to return to normal volume:

http://www.priuschat.com/forums/1-vt5060.h...e+f450&&start=0

But, there was no specifics of what needs to be tweaked on the amp to knock the beep volume down.

Any insights on this?

I have the standard OEM system, not with the external JBL amp...

Cheers,

-bob

2. garypear

garypear New Member

Also, if the fix does involve some sort of frequency cut-off adjustment at the amp, does doing so impede the user's ability to fine tune what signals the amp sends different types of speakers (subwoofers, tweeters)?

3. bobc

bobc New Member

I think the answer is 'Yes.' Tweaking the freq. adjustments on the amp will affect the signals going to the speakers... I'm going to PM the folks in the old thread and see if they know the specifics.

Here's another thought: the MFD has the ability to bypass the stereo and send the beep to the speakers. 'because when your stereo is off, the beep still comes through the speakers. I do know that the MFD and the stereo talk to each other via two data transmission wires.

The more I think about how to lower the beep volume caused by the better amp, the less I think there's an easy solution...

4. garypear

garypear New Member

Yes, I've been thinking about where the beeps originate both to remedy the adding an amp induced beep volume increase and to also possiblysolve the 12v amp on problem by using that PAC-OEM2 speaker level to low-level converter that can generate itss own 12v on for the amp upon sensing a signal coming through the speaker wire.

That solution won't work if the beeps cause the PAC to send an amp turn on signal every time the touchscreen is used (beep generated mistaken for radio audio). Wishfully thought there might be a spot on the speaker wire it could tap into upstream of the point beeps occur on the speaker wire.

All moot if the radios's unused 9(I) is live, assuming the wiring harness will accept an upgrade.

5. garypear

garypear New Member

Bobc has informed me that the beeps only come from the front speakers. That being the case, here's what I thought of as a possible low tech "last resort" solution.

How about hooking up the front speakers to the wires leading out of the radio meant for the rear speakers, and vice-versa? The beeps would then come out the rear speakers instead and even though still louder than they should be, location and type of rear speakers would to a large degree nullify the difference, at least as to the hearing of those in the front seats?

Am I not correct that the front / rear signals are identical at the time they leave the head unit? (Crossover frequency cutoff doesn't occur until after the signal enters the front doors?)

Of course when using fader control you'd have to do the reverse of what's indicated on the screen but that's a tradeoff I for one would be happy to live with.

Of course hopefully there's a better solution.

6. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If you don't care about the beeps and are willing to give up the fader, you can wire the rear output to a four channel Amp that connects to all four speakers. You'll still have the balance, bass, and treble control, but no fader and no beeps...

Nate

7. garypear

garypear New Member

It does seem the beeps only come out the front speakers. I'd prefer to keep the fader, even at a cost of having increased volume beeps, but coming out the back.

Can anyone who has the problem with the increased beeps offer conjecture on how bad they'd still be if switched from coming out only in the front to coming out only from the rear? Keeping in mind much of the current annoyance is due to the beeps so pronounced out of the high mounted front tweeters.

8. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Beeps are sent to ALL speakers on the JBL system, front and rear. Even the woofers in the front doors get the beeps (can be heard if you hook a tweeter to those wires).

Maybe I'll abandon my Amp plans and just get the subwoofer going...

Nate

9. garypear

garypear New Member

I have the standard non-JBL audio. It was a short test so I'll check it again but I didn't hear any beeps out of the rear speakers. Does it make sense to anyone that the JBL would have beeps out all the speakers but the standard's beeps would just be out the fronts?

Of course JBL already has an amp so no need to worry about increase in beeps when an amp is added unless it's for a subwoofer?

10. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Yes it could make sense, if the beeps are generated by the header. In the standard system, the amp is in the header so the tone generator could be sent to only the front speakers. By the way, the front tweeters are connected to the same header output as the front fullrange speakers.

In the JBL system, the amp gets fixed level R&L signal, so if the header was generating the beep, the amp would have no choice but to send that audio the same way it sends any other audio: to all speakers based on the balance, fade, EQ.

I was about to say that the volume was also controlled by the amp, but it is possible that the header does that by sending less signal to the R&L outputs. Something to investigate.

11. bobc

bobc New Member

Yeah, in the standard system, it seems the beeps are in the front channels only. With my new speakers, the freq. range of the rear speakers is greater than that of the fronts speakers. Beeps clearly heard up front, nothing heard from the back.

Also, even with the new system, the beep volume stays the same regardless of what the stereo volume is at. So, this seems to further confirm that the beep signal coming from the MFD just goes through the built-in amp and has nothing to do with the stereo, really.

I went to a local installer yesterday and asked about lowering the beep volume. They had no clue. I've also heard back from other posters, but nothing definitive.

I have one last thing to try:

If you have some electronic knowledge, could you tell me if this is a possibility?

I have the standard head unit. I tapped into the channel wires at the back of the head and ran them into Adjustable Line Output Converters (www.pac-audio.com/products/loc.htm part #SNI-35) to knock the output down (from the built-in amp) to a lower level that's better for the aftermarket amp that's next down the line.

The converters have pots that adjust the volume level.I'm wondering if I adjust the pots, which adjusts the volume sent to the amp, the beep volume will drop. I'll assume that I'll then have to play the stereo at a higher number value to get a volume comparable to what I'm getting right now.

Do you think this would work? Any concerns about reducing the volume coming out of the converters?

Ugh, this means I gotta pull the dash apart again. Anybody want me to look at anything special since I'll have it all ripped apart again?

Thanx.
    -bob

12. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'm going to play with the RSA (Rear Seat Audio) outputs to see if they are fixed or if they have the beeps. I'll also check the Amplifiers' input to see if it is fixed.

Nate

13. bobc

bobc New Member

I just wanted to close this thread by mentioning and documenting that I did find a solution to lower the beep volume after a stereo upgrade to the standard/base radio...

I installed PAC SNI-35's, Adjustable Line Output Converters. Subsequently, the beeps got louder.

I just turned the potentiometers built into the converters down, to lower the beep volume down. This also lowered the volume going to the front channels. I compensated for this by adjusting the fader on the MFD, allowing for more power/volume to the front speakers.

FWIW, I re-confirmed that the beeps only go to the front channels on the standard radio. And, by turning the pots way down, I was able to get rid of the beeps completely. But, of course, I also did away with all sound to the front channels.

Thanks for the input all in resolving this!

-bob