1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Adding 1qt/2K, ever need to change oil?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by AllenZ, Aug 18, 2012.

1. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    One individual already pointed about his friend with a two year lease who never changed his oil. His friends engine threw a rod.

Many years ago, I owned a 1980 Pontiac Phoenix which was ordered from the factory and we were the first owners. Like you, I too cheated on the oil changes. I simply added some when it was low and changed the filter thinking everything would be Ok. In the life of the original engine, the oil was changed twice before it failed. After 3 years and 45K on the clock the engine cratered. When it was torn down, a piston had a whole in it, and the valve guides were trashed.

I understand you are wanting to know what could happen, but why risk your personal vehicle which will very expensive to repair/replace if you damage the engine? It is and has been proven by many "experts" over the years that sludge and other harmful deposits will build up in a engine if you don't change the oil regularly.

Take a gander at this page

Effects of Shearing - Bob is the Oil Guy

and then think about the amount of shearing your oil in being subjected to vs an engine with oil being changed on a more regular basis.

2. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Effects of Shearing - Bob is the Oil Guy

Read more: http://priuschat.com/threads/adding-1qt-2k-ever-need-to-change-oil.113871/page-3#ixzz24ihHEYaQ

Great article. Thanks!
    Don't worry about my engine. I haven't risked anything yet. For most people including me, following a commonly accepted rule is a no brainer. I just happen to be interested in learning the reasons behind those rules, so I might deal with special situation differently based on the knowledge. Up to this point, I am still not convinced that adding oil to an oil burning engine can not reasonably extend oil change interval, based on calculation (with assumptions), but I probably will not push the limit in practice.