1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Adding a Powered Sub to 04 prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by DInner By David, May 19, 2016.

1. DInner By David

DInner By David New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    So I have a 2004 Prius with all the bells and whistle, but that JBL system is weak! replaced all 4 speakers and it made a difference, but that low end though, not impressed at all!
    So I bought a powered sub and the RCA thing (converter?)

Where should the remote wire tap into?
    How about the RCA module?
    I've searched but still not clear on what to do

the system is stock also

Thanks for the help in advance, I really appreciate it

2. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you haven't seen this already, this guide documents the details of the JBL system in depth:
    Prius JBL Audio system response, specs, and photos
    In the middle of the page there are images that show wiring diagrams for the connectors to tap into. As I understand it, you'll need to tap into the speaker wires (rear are best for sub) for your speaker level to RCA level converter. For the remote wire tap, tap into the +12V ACC wire.

Part of the reason the JBL system doesn't sound very good is that the output from the amp is nowhere near flat (see charts in link above). Therefore replacing the speakers usually won't give the desired flat response. Most people upgrading their systems from the JBL find they need to replace both the headunit and the speakers to get really good results.