1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Adding a scangauge to the prius obd port

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by alexeft, Sep 10, 2012.

1. alexeft

alexeft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

I own a 2004 2nd gen Prius that is on lpg. The lpg system ecu communicates with the car via the obd port. There are two wires connected to that port.

Now, I would like to get a scangauge at some point but need to know if I can add a second device on that port. The lpg system uses canbus protocol and I suppose that scangauge does the same.

What do you people think?

2. lopezjm2001

lopezjm2001 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Alex,

You can get a OBD2 splitter cable on EBay. It will give you an extra connection for your ScangaugeII. You need one with a 90 degree angle bend so it does not stick into your knee. I have not been able to find one with a 90 degree bend.

alexeft likes this.
  3. alexeft

alexeft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I see. I guess that solves the problem.

Thanks a lot :)

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I bought a splitter from ALDL OBD1 OBD cable OBD connector OBD2 ECU simulator OBDII pinout box .

I use it w/my Scangauge II and was using it to reduce the # of cycles/wear and tear on the car's connector. See solar chargers? VW OBD2 port chargers? OBD2 disconnect/reconnect cycles? | PriusChat about why.

edit: Whoops, I actually bought OBDII Splitter Y Cable,J1962M to 2-J1962F,1ft (145802) : Amazon.com : Automotive, since they were cheaper than buying straight from obd2cables.com. The part number (145802) was the same there as Cable, J1962M to 2-J1962F, Y-Cable, 1ft - OBD II Cables - Cables - OBD2Cables.com