1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

adding a solar panel to the P2 12V battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by groar, May 2, 2012.

1. groar

groar X-Frenchy: very

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Quickly searched the forum but didn't found any thread showing it done. If I mis-searched, thanks to direct me to an existing thread.

Sunny days should be back during next weeks, so a project is coming back in my head...

On the net there are several threads where people are adding a small solar panel to the 12V battery of an HCH. I did so with a low grade amorphous 13W panel to my Mégane (old turbo diesel) through a charge regulator that I configured so it charged the battery only while the alternator was off (glides ICE off).

The goal is to set and forget it. The charge controller has a small LCD screen so I can verify it, but I don't think to put it on the dash, as it contains a thermometer that should be at a temperature close enough the the charged battery. Also that little LCD screen doesn't love sun at all : after a couple of minutes under direct sun it becomes black for a couple of hours...

Would it be OK to do the same to the Prius 12V battery ?
    Is setting the charge controller to limit the charge @13.7V would be OK ?

Of course it will not charge the HV, but it would be sad to let the charge controller and the panel in the garage...

Denis.

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  3. lopezjm2001

lopezjm2001 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prius Gen2 uses a DC Converter to charge the 12V auxiliary battery using power from the HV battery when needed. I do not see much point in using a solar panel for this application. However I use a solar panel mounted on the inside of the rear hatch window to power a series of fans to cool down the cabin. I have PHEV kits which need cooling down.
    See this link http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-p...-dc-dc-overheating-issues-10.html#post1472841

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    1 person likes this.
  5. lopezjm2001

lopezjm2001 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  6. NortTexSalv04Prius

NortTexSalv04Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can you take an image and share plz. I have wondered about 12v parasitc condition as well?