1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Adding an amp: too many watts? Antenna lead always on?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by garypear, Feb 22, 2005.

1. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Again, the AMP turnon pin is not connected, just as the EV pin was not used. However, the EV function still was available. Just the same it is possible the amp turnon function may be available to be tapped. Toyota didn't need the function on the prius, so no pin/wiring was in the harness.

Try it, it may work. Can't hurt.

2. garypear

garypear New Member

That last question "So I take it IS being used" was referring to the ill+ which has a corresponding "Do Not Use".

Regarding 9(I), assuming the volt meter confirms it's live, it has been posted on this thread that part 82998-12340 is part or all of what would be needed?

At http://www.toyotapart.com/search.asp?s=829...1&GO.y=5&PN=Yes
    that part number is just referred to as a "REPAIR SPLICE".

Google search of the part number brought up a link to a picture of several items.

So the wire harness is missing both the pin and the wire? Does anyone know if part 82998-12340 ("REPAIR SPLICE") would consist of both? Are the missing pin and wire standard enough to expect car audio shop with its own website to have it?

3. bobc

bobc New Member

Gary,

I have my the wire for my amp turn on tapped into pin#3, the gray wire. As Danman said a few posts ago, when in ACC or Ig-on modes, there's power going to the amp. So, the amp is always on. It's not controlled by the radio being turned on and off.

I know you're after wanting to have the amp turn on and off when the radio does and having the amp on for CD's etc. Here's a thought. Again, it's going to take someone who can read a wiring diagram:

What about tapping the amp turn on wire into C pin#7 (a/k/a/ SW1), the black wire that heads to the volume/seek switch on the steering wheel? This possibly wouldn't get power until the head unit was turned on (?) Maybe c pin#8 would be similar, that's the wire to the Mode switch on the steering wheel. Although, the latter must be trickier since it can turn the radio on when held down...

Also, FWIW, the ground wire pin G is actually brown in color, not black. This is as per the Service Manual and holding it in my hands.

Another FWIW: There's one wire going into one of the three stereo harnesses that not shown in the service manual. It's green I think, and I'm sorry, I can't remember what pin number it is but I remember it being in the N or O spot...

4. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

On JBL system, dark green is R-, one of the right signal leads to the amp.

In Non-JBL, light green goes to the FR+.

5. bobc

bobc New Member

Hi Danman,

Yes, that's correct about the light green wire going to the FR+.

But this is another green wire in addition to that one.

For the non-jbl system, the wiring diagram shows 17 wires plugging into the head unit via 3 harnesses. I counted 18 wires. The extra one being another green one .

Cheers,

6. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Ah, I see the problem. The wiring diagram you're looking at doesn't show the illumination circuit. If you look at Tail and illumination, you'll see a green wire at pin 10 for illumination+, and a white with black stripe on pin 5 for illumination-

Because of the 2 illumination wires, you should have 19 total wires.

7. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The repair splice is a pigtail, consisting of a pin and a wire together. It is only a few inches long, so you will have to splice a longer piece of wire onto it so it will reach the Amp. It slides into the connector in the back of the radio.

Nate

8. garypear

garypear New Member

But even though it is ultimately connecting to the radio pin it is actually being inserted into a vacant slot on the harness plug?

Unfortunately, new info on a recent thread seems to confirm 9(I) is dead. Would appreciate others reading it for agreement as to that.

http://priuschat.com/forums/new-audio-syst...html?highlight=

9. kenkneeb

kenkneeb Member

DanMan, Et. Al

I have a '05 Prius, w/upgraded jbl amp (non-Nav). I have diconnected the amp (to defeat the beep!!!) and kept the factory head unit in the dash. However...

I have an audio shop trying to hook up my aftermarket alpine head unit and utilize the 05 Prius' built in Amplified Antenna. My guys are stumped at how to hook up/enable/power up/take power off of the factory head unit/toyota's built in antenna amp.

Does anyone have the right info???

Please disclose!

Thanks, KennyOreon

10. adamhaunt

adamhaunt New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(garypear @ Feb 22 2005, 04:19 PM) [snapback]66502[/snapback]</div>
    I have a 2005 PRIUS. I have been trying to replace my AMP with an after market AMP. So far i havent been able to find a confident installer.WHAT IS THE MAX WATTS I CAN GO ON AN AFTER MARKET AMP?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kenkneeb @ May 15 2006, 01:07 PM) [snapback]255782[/snapback]</div>
    I HAVE 2005 PRIUS and i have been trying to confident installer to put and aftermarket AMP in. I havent had any luck yet. Have you? And what was your MAX AMPs WATTS?
    Adam

11. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(adamhaunt @ Jun 29 2006, 08:42 PM) [snapback]278906[/snapback]</div>

Welcome to PriusChat! If you search through the forums, you'll find that there were several people who find installers willing to do this type of stuff for them, however many people here have done the work themselves, and even provided guides should you wish to do the same. if nothing else, you could probably take a print out of the guide into the isntaller so they would be aware of what was involved before getting started. I would start with a search of the forums.