1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Adding backup camera to 2012 non-nav Prius 2 with touch screen

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by our1vue, Aug 31, 2013.

1. 14Prius

14Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    II
    connect2.jpg
    our1vue,
    I have read through all posts on this topic and you have given ALOT of great info on the camera install on a Prius. I have a 14 Prius II with a stock HU and would like to put a Ebay 6.5V OEM camera on my Prius. Do you have any idea what the color conversion would be the headliner plug - What color wire would go where in the headliner connector? (Stock camera has a 1 White and 1 White w/Blue and 1 Black and 1 Red Wires.) See Picture. Prius Camera.jpg

Thanks in advance.

#141 14Prius, Jan 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  2. our1vue

our1vue Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    14Prius,
    This is a question we haven't got before. I thought the colors of the wires stayed the same from the head unit to the camera. They were
    White wire - This is the +6.5 volts for the camera power
    Orange wire - This is the return for the camera power
    Red wire - This is the Video+ signal for the camera
    Black wire - This is the Video ground signal for the camera.
    3 out of 4 seem to match except for the Orange wire and the White with Blue. Do you know what car/year this camera came from ?
    As for the connector wires location, the white wire would be in hole 7, the red wire would be in hole 8, the black wire would be in hole 9 and the orange wire would be in hole 10.
    I think the holes are numbered on the connector. Let me look through my notes to see if I had
    a wire diagram for the stock camera.
    Looking at the camera wiring diagram, it looks like
    White wire (CB+) comes from connector pin 7 goes to camera pin 4
    Red wire (CV+) comes from connector pin 8 goes to camera pin 2
    Black wire (CV-) comes from connector pin 9 goes to camera pin 1
    W-B wire (CGND) comes from connector pin 10 goes to camera pin 3
    I assume W-B means white-blue or white-black ??
    It doesn't show any orange wire (but that is what is in connector pin 10 on our car)
    Hopefully this helps and it works.

3. 14Prius

14Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    II
    our1vue Thank you for your reply.

I do not know what year model the ebay OEM camera was off of it said 10-15 Prius camera in the description. Have you found a camera with the style yours is that slides in the cut out slot to the left of the license plate that will work with the HU 6.5V? Also I seen where you replaced yours due to failure on your first install - How is the newer one holding up and how long have you had it installed? I think I may go the kick panel route due to the stories about difficulty to get to the head liner plug. Id love to find a CCD camera the style of yours that I can plug and play with the 6.5V. I have not bought one yet and was looking at the OEM vs. the slide in style like yours. Any info you can give me would be great!
    Thank you.

4. our1vue

our1vue Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    14Prius,
    My second camera is doing fine. It is more water tight than the first one (especially after I sealed all the seams with silicone). It has been in there since 6/2015 and it survived a winter with all the salt they put on the roads around here. I haven't
    looked too much at 6.5V cameras. The home made regulator was easy and inexpensive to make which is all you'll save if you
    went with a 6.5V camera. Also I never saw a slide in 6.5V camera. Not sure what else to tell you. The most common problem people
    have had are bad connections. When they rechecked their connections, things started to work.

#144 our1vue, Jan 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  5. 14Prius

14Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    II
    our1vue,
    Thank you for the update on your 2nd camera. Do you have a link to the one you have installed now or know what the part number is on the camera you bought? This is a upgrade that I would really love to have in my car.

Thank you again, our1vue.

6. our1vue

our1vue Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    14Prius,
    There is no model number on the camera. In fact, it came from Hong Kong in a plain bag with no writing on it. The place I got it from is not on ebay anymore. So I can't tell you exactly what I got. With that being said, the below link looks like
    my camera:
    Car Backup Camera for Toyota Prius 2012-2013 Auto Rear View Reverse Parking Kit | eBay
    It looks like a couple of vendors sell cameras that look like this one at different prices. But as far as we know they all could be the same vendor. The suspicious part is they are all away until Feb 5.
    Ordering the camera was the most nerve wracking part of the project because you have no idea what they are going to send you (if they send you anything at all). And you have to hope what they send you matches the picture.
    Maybe someone following this thread has a vendor they recommend ?

7. 14Prius

14Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    II
    our1vue,

Thank you, I will probably go ahead and order the one like you have since you have had good luck for 1.5 yrs and going after sealing the top with silicone. Thank you for all of the info you have provided!

8. 14Prius

14Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    II
    our1vue,

I have one more question, Is the 6.5V from the HU enough power to go through the camera like you have installed to make it work or would I need to find a 12V wire to get it to work?

Thanks.

9. our1vue

our1vue Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    14Prius,
    No need for 12V. In fact you have to use the 6.5V from the HU so that the camera gets power at the right time for the
    HU to sense it. To sum up, you cut off the 12V-3.3V inline regulator that comes with the camera. You run the 6.5V from the
    HU to your home made 6.5V-3.3V regulator and then the output of that goes to the power in of the camera.
    Just curious, where would you connect/use the 12 V ?

10. 14Prius

14Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    II
    our1vue,
    I was not sure about the voltage that I would need to use if the 6.5V wouldn't work. I was guessing 12V since I seen that on the camera voltage requirements in the description. I was hoping that the in line voltage regulator that came with the camera would adapt 12V and under to the 3.3V that was needed - but it sounds like that's not the case. Do you know if you can but a 6.5V to 3.3V regulator so that I wouldn't have to make one?

Thank you.

11. our1vue

our1vue Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    14Prius,
    The inline regulator that comes with the camera does convert 12V to 3.3V. The problem is the HU is supplying 6.5V and the inline regulator doesn't convert 6.5V to 3.3V. You can buy an adjustable regulator:

It can be adjusted to convert 6.5V to 3.3V. But make sure before you connect it up to your camera you adjust it to output 3.3V. If you make your own, no adjustment is necessary.

12. 14Prius

14Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    II
    our1vue

Great, Thank you for all of your help and the link the to regulator!

13. our1vue

our1vue Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    14Prius,
    Do you or someone you know have a volt meter to measure the output of the regulator ?

14. 14Prius

14Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    II
    our1vue,

I do have a voltmeter to check the voltage. I think I am going to wait and get an OEM cameral off ebay . The only thing that I am concerned about is the different color wires on the pigtail of the oem camera and what color that they will go to on the wiring harness.

15. Jetman

Jetman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just added this one myself. Highly recommended.

16. tw1nturb0

tw1nturb0 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just wanted to say thanks to our1vue for the great writeup - finally got mine installed after bookmarking this thread, buying the parts, and procrastinating for over a year.

In the interesting of paying it forward, I salvaged a bunch of pin connectors (basically identical to the OEM part) from another wiring harness. I have 3 sets of 3 that I will mail free to anyone who's starting this project. I also have an extra 6.5-3.3V regulator that I'd be happy to pass along.

#156 tw1nturb0, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  17. creature0077

creature0077 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just installed an ebay camera on my 2013 using this guide. I made my own DC-DC step down that is identical to the one here except the transistor was a little different, It outputs a little higher than 3.3V.

I went the headliner route and didn't have much trouble. At first, I wasn't sure if I was doing anything right because there was no voltage across the white wire. I went ahead and hooked everything up, closed the trunk, placed it in reverse, and voila! The backup camera was working without a hitch.

Not sure why I couldn't manage to get any voltage. I did salvage some female pins from some computer cables and the ends weren't exactly as long as the ones in the prius but they worked.

18. our1vue

our1vue Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    creature0077,
    I wonder if the reason you weren't getting any voltage is because there was no video signal present. If the HU doesn't see a video signal
    when it "powers up" the camera, it drops the power.

19. psikora

psikora New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Do you still have this to offer? Just plowing through this amazing thread and am starting the project.
    Thanks,
    phil

20. rvdbos

rvdbos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I bought used OEM 86790-47040 camera from ebay for $35.

For installation found this Toyota Prius 2012 pdf document:
    sorry, can not post link yet
    In case the link is dead I uploaded PDF here as well.

It has drill template, part numbers, installation steps for 2012 Prius.
    BTW, camera part number shows PZ473-G0140-00, but it looks like 86790-47040.
    Also rear view mirror they suggest swap with 87810-04030 (has screen).

Interestingly, it shows wire harness should be routed via passenger side for left steering wheel.
    I wonder where to get OEM wire harness with connectors PZ417-G0140-00 for reasonable money (like $30).

Attached Files:

toyolla86 likes this.