1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Adding backup camera to 2012 non-nav Prius 2 with touch screen

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by our1vue, Aug 31, 2013.

1. our1vue

our1vue Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I thought 2012 and later prius can display the video on the radio. Wonder why these instructions display it on the rear view mirror.

2. rvdbos

rvdbos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think they display in both places

3. rvdbos

rvdbos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    14Prius,
    can you check part number of the camera connector? I bought OEM camera, but connector is not included. I am looking to buy it separately. Thanks!

4. tw1nturb0

tw1nturb0 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Still have pins and a regulator, PM sent.

5. rvdbos

rvdbos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am also trying to fit OEM camera but do not have a camera connector and do not know its type. I ordered one on ebay from China, but after 3 weeks it came and is too large. Hard to order the right connector. If you have left over connector I am a person of interest. Just let me know. Thanks!

6. rvdbos

rvdbos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Many thanks to tw1nturb0 for headliner connector pins. I finally finished my camera install. Took me 3 partial days. Toyota could have made it easier by providing a connector, but decided to save a buck. Installation to headliner connector is quite miserable. Even after removing side panels, grab handles and center light I could not force headliner down more than a few inches without risk of damaging it. Other obstacle is a rigid foam block around the connector. Makes it almost impossible to connect it back. I accidentally broke it and had to superglue. Just to give a perspective - disconnect the connectors took me 10 minutes, however connecting it back over one hour of fidgeting! Need baby hands and special skills for that (or very long pliers?). Running a wire after that torture was not difficult, but required basic soldering skills. Overall, doable but hard.

IMG_20170826_191132.jpg IMG_20170828_131129.jpg IMG_20170828_131510.jpg IMG_20170828_132753.jpg IMG_20170828_132807.jpg IMG_20170828_132852.jpg

7. Levelheadsteve

Levelheadsteve Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is there anyone in the Sacramento or Bay Area that does this install? Interested in adding a backup camera to my 2012 II.

James Powers likes this.
  8. James Powers

James Powers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Look up OE Plus. I haven't used them yet but they have the kit needed to install in the Prius. I am sourcing a powered sub that I want to have them install along with the backup cam. Just need to get the sub first to do it all in one shot. They will also come to you, depending on how far you are.

Levelheadsteve likes this.
  9. Levelheadsteve

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks. I will contact them.

James Powers likes this.
  10. Crazywussian

Crazywussian New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi there, i have just picked up my 2012 Prius, and this car seems to have the backup camera already wired to the rearview mirror. I was wondering if and how i can move the feed to the touchscreen on the console. Any ideas?

11. our1vue

our1vue Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Crazywussian,
    Not sure how the mirror system is wired up, but you would need to have the HU sense if the camera is present. Normally the HU
    would send the power to the camera. On your mirror setup, they may be powering the camera via the reverse lights.

12. Crazywussian

Crazywussian New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yea, the cam is powered and running fine, but through the rear view mirror. I am just wondering if and how to move the feed from the running cam from the mirror to the non nav display, or even if it can mirror it to there.

13. our1vue

our1vue Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Please see append #5 in this thread. The camera usually has a yellow wire and a black wire. The yellow wire attaches to the red wire
    of the HU. The black wire attaches to the orange wire on the HU. That should get the video signal into the HU.
    The problem now is to get the HU to sense the camera on power up. Again see append #5. If your camera is powered by the backup lights, then when the car is powered on, the camera will be off, the HU will not sense it, and it will never display the camera picture even if the camera does turn on later when the car is put in rev. That is why you needed to power the camera from the HU so it can do the camera sensing when the car is powered on. Another possibility is to wire the camera so that it is always on when the car is on, but I
    don't know what that will do to the life expectancy of the camera.
    If it was me, I would live with the picture in the mirror. If I was starting from scratch, then I would look into displaying it in the HU.
    Just my $.02 for what it is worth.

Crazywussian likes this.
  14. Levelheadsteve

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    FYI, I ended up going to Rolling Soundz in Sacramento. Paid just over $200.00 out the door for camera plus install. Works like OEM. Very happy with it.

15. aterfy27

aterfy27 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi all,
    Have a couple of questions here.
    So, I just bought a 2013 2-series just a couple days ago. No factory backup camera, but it looks like at some point somebody installed an aftermarket backup camera. However, it was NOT connected to the factory headunit - they had wired in an independent monitor that was previously attached to the small window on the driver's side. At some point, this monitor was lost or something. So now I've got a backup camera installed above the license plate but not connected to anything.

Anyways....a few issues here. The aftermarket camera was installed in the same spot as one of the license plate lightbulb cutouts. I'd rather install one in the factory punch out, so I've ordered a different camera to put it into the factory camera punch out.

First: the casing/housing/whatever you want to call it for the license plate bulb (one of them, at least) is damaged and I'd like to replace it. It's not a big deal and functions okay, but it's a bit loose and I'd like for it to be nice and snug like the other one. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement license plate bulb housing/casing thing? Small clear plastic lens/housing that goes above the license plate.

Second: I've seen floating around eBay a lot of "kits" advertised to hook up the backup camera. I'm too new to post links yet,
    Is this *needed*? Would using such a harness eliminate the need to "hack" the voltage regulator? The description is not terribly clear - seems like a bad translation - but here's a snippet:

Kit includes:
    Adapter needs the camera to be purchased and connected separately.
    Customized design with 5-7V working voltage range to match Toyota radio 6V output voltage. You can purchase 12v cameras as well, in this case you will need to cut power invertor which task is - reduce 12v to 6v or 3.3v.

There are 3 wires only:
    Yellow- AV signal
    Red- Power+
    Black - Power "-" (GND)
    Harness to Radio
    Trigger wire

OTHER:
    Trigger wire may or may not be needed. How to know if trigger wire is needed and how to install trigger wire is included.

I can't post an image too, so my apologies, but it's two white connectors - both of which are connected by a single red wire - and one connector has three wires coming off of it: one black labeled "ground," one yellow labeled "Supply 6V+ Output" and one yellow "RCA" type connector.

Anybody have any experience with this type of thing? Thanks!

16. our1vue

our1vue Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    aterfy27,
    What is the voltage of the camera you bought ? If it is 6V then it can be powered by the headunit with no voltage regulators and
    the install gets much easier.

17. aterfy27

aterfy27 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Meant to post an addendum. It looks like the harness I described is a "T-harness" to aid in splicing the camera wiring into the factory harness. However it doesn't do anything to address the voltage issue - on that front, the camera IS 12v, but I've got a voltage regulator on the way, so hopefully it'll be a smooth install!

18. our1vue

our1vue Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    aterfy27,
    Since you are using the 6V from the headunit to power the camera, you don't need a trigger.

19. aterfy27

aterfy27 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey everyone!

So I got my wiring harness/voltage regulator all put together. I wanted to make sure it was working properly before running all the cables thru the cabin, so I just popped the HU out and plugged it directly in for a test. Good news: it works great!

Now...here's where I'm stuck.
    What's the easiest way to remove the little "punch out" plate where the camera mounts on the back of the trunk?
    Is there any way to get it removed without pulling that metal "shell" off the back of the hatch (the one that houses the license plate lights and aforementioned "punch out")?

20. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You are going to have to remove it. I believe there are a 2 nuts on the outside and 2 on the inside.
    You'll have to remove in inner trim to get to the nuts.
    Then it pops out. But I can't remember exactly. Then it will slide out. That's what I had to do to install mine.
    I'm certain someone has a video on how to remove it.