1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Adding bluetooth audio to second generation Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by ishp2005, Dec 29, 2014.

1. ishp2005

ishp2005 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Anyone have info on how to add bluetooth audio streaming on a second gen Prius?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you show a gen III, in the gen III forum. but i suppose you would have to install a new h/u.

3. Yakoma

Yakoma Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was looking into using the Blu Logic add-on product, but it generally didn't get very good reviews and it's limited to 2-speaker stereo sound. It might be adequate for hands-free phone.

At eBay pricing of ~$50-75, it seems expensive for what you get. So I'll likely upgrade to a better head unit that includes integrated BT along with many other features.

4. GeorgeM269

GeorgeM269 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    for a quick fix ebay for : Black Bluetooth V2.0+EDR USB Drive Audio Receiver 3.5mm Male to Male Audio Cable

That will do for 9 bucks (if you got aux 3.5mm line in), I use one like that on my gen III.

The other solution as mentioned above is new head unit.

5. Yakoma

Yakoma Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ^^
    Interesting
    George, how's the sound quality?
    Also, it appears not to have any hands-free phone functionality.
    I wonder if this might solve both.
    I don't expect it will display audio and phone on the MFD, but I might give it a try anyway.

6. GeorgeM269

GeorgeM269 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well it has its quirks I'll elaborate on this below but, it does have the ability to play your calls through the car stereo, as well as play music... but has no mic... hahaha

Now, the Bluetooth sound quality will never be as good as a wired connection, even with the most expensive Bluetooth. Far better than a radio station (a fair comparison, since its also a wireless technology). But overall I like it a lot, because I just wanted to play music without cables, and let people play their music on my car. This product does that perfectly fine. If you are outside the car, about 5-6m from it, music starts to chop off.

Your item might solve both situations since as far as it tells, it has a mic in it.

#6 GeorgeM269, Jan 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  7. Parriskl

Parriskl New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Search up iSimple Connect ISTY651
    I have these installed in my Prius and my truck.
    They piggy back on the Sat side of the radio and gives you true Bluetooth, USB input/charge, Apple input/charge, 3.5mm Aux input and several other options.
    they go for around $120 +, look on Amazon.
    They make them for almost any vehicle, and I think they now call them Gateways