1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Adding CarPlay

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by TapDatApp, Jan 5, 2017.

1. TapDatApp

TapDatApp Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey there,

Total newbie here. Just obtained my first Prius. It's a 2011 standard gen 3 and only offers AUX with no touchscreen or bluetooth, etc. I'd like to put in a 3rd party radio that supports Apple CarPlay, but have a few questions and was hoping the local experts could advise.

1. If I put in a third party radio (obviously I will have it installed by someone who knows what they are doing), will it still be possible to control the audio with the built-in steering wheel buttons or will that functionally be permanently lost?
    2. Has anyone else installed a CarPlay supported radio? Any recommendations on brands or models?
    3. Anything else important I should know before proceeding?

Appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.

Burna J likes this.
  2. ssdesigner

ssdesigner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Aqua
    Model:
    Persona
    Tap,

I've done this in my Gen 4, so I'm not sure that it's 100% the same in your Gen 3....but if it is, I went with the Pioneer SPH-DA120. All the controls that matter work on the steering wheel via a harness. I've been using it for 6 months and could not be happier. PM if you need more details.

3. ssdesigner

ssdesigner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Aqua
    Model:
    Persona
  4. thuff

thuff New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I picked up a 2011 with the JBL audio and Nav. This car does not have enough base to play classic rock. I am adding a subwoofer to help and I want to add Apple Carplay (android auto). What concert me is the steering wheel control. Can you share what Head unit you put in and if all controls work. Including not messing up the other controls.

5. vicn77

vicn77 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    1. Steering wheel control can be used with an adapter
    2. I also have a SPH-DA120. Does Car Play and Android Auto
    3. Like SSDesigner stated, there wasn't that much bass. I added a 5 channel amp and 10" sub, with the factory door speakers. Couldn't be happier.