1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Adding compact amp to factory head unit

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by CoolPrius, Jul 15, 2016.

1. CoolPrius

CoolPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'm working on adding a compact amp behind the factory head unit (model Pioneer GM-D1004, hope it fits). Here are the part numbers and pin layout for the two harnesses if anyone is interested. Planning on install using jumper harness to factory head unit, running two channel mode to my Components up front. Just need power, ground and speaker input. Will let you know how it goes.

m3pare likes this.
  2. Danger

Danger Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm interested in the DIY. I have a set of components sitting in my house waiting to be installed. Please keep us posted.

3. CoolPrius

CoolPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for your interest. I installed it last weekend and was a bit rushed so unfortunately I didn't take any photos. The trim and factory radio come out really easy with the help of those hard plastic trim removal tools and a 10mm socket w/ extension. The metra harness or a custom from autoharnesshouse.com (jumper w/ extra power and ground) can be used for this application. Metra on left and autoharnesshouse on right. Metra was around $20 and custom was $40.

Wire splicing was straight forward, just match them up. Solder or posi-tap the connections for a tight fit. With this particular Pioneer amp all you need are the power, ground and speaker wires. No remote wire needed since it can detect on/off based on speaker lines. For a cleaner installation I would recommend mesh wire sleeves and maybe some tiny black zip ties. Use a lighter or other flame source to keep the edges of the plastic sleeve from unraveling.

Again, no picture of it actually installed but this will give you an idea. I did not find enough room behind the factory radio to mount this amp so the next logical easy access place for me was the upper glove box.

You can drill a small hole using a drill or dremel to gain access to the radio harness.

To be honest the sound quality to me wasn't significantly better so I decided to remove the amp and keep access to the upper glove box. I already have the Focal plug n play components from Crutchfield installed along with sound proofing materials. Bass is lacking but otherwise sounds pretty good.

Ashim123 likes this.
  4. Danger

Danger Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks for the update. Sucks that it wasn't up to par.