1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Adding cruise controller to prius c

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by Ishantha, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Ishantha

Ishantha Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A
    hi guys,
    Need a little help in installing a cruise controller for my 2014 prius c.
    I did not had steering wheel controls at first and i installed aftermarket steering control unit.
    Before installing it i had this (photo1) and after that it was replaced to this (photo 2).
    I need to know whether a cruise controller can be installed to this.
    or do i have to do any other modification/pre-wiring to the system.

thanks.

Attached Files:

2. PeterHaas

PeterHaas Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The black round component is what Toyota, perhaps incorrectly, calls a "clockspring". Its purpose is to translate signals (airbag, audio, display and others, and, indeed, the cruise control switch) from rotating to fixed.

The wires from the cruise control switch are connected to the rotating part of the "clockspring".

The wires to ground and the ECU are connected from the fixed part of the "clockspring".

Prius c Ones are already equipped with the brake switch and its related wiring which supports the "cancel" function of cruise control (I strongly suspect that 2001 Priuses were not originally so equipped, as I own a 2001 which was modified for cruise control after it was delivered).

The recently introduced 14 dollar kit is all you need to add to your Prius c One.

#2 PeterHaas, Sep 29, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2018