1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Adding Factory Backup Camera and Smartkey Button to Hatchback…

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Michael Crestohl, Sep 1, 2022.

1. Michael Crestohl

Michael Crestohl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    My 2007 Prius has the backup and the Smartkey options but unfortunately the hatchback door was replaced by one from another vehicle that was not similarly equipped. I happened to run across a hatchback that is the same color and has both the camera and the push button that is used to open the hatch door using Smartkey.

I looked at the wiring harness on the door on my car and the connectors for the camera and the push button are not there. I am thinking I might be able to wire these in manually. The wiring harness from the hatchback goes to the top edge then into the body of the car over the headliner. What I would like to know is where are the plugs that connect to the mail wiring harness and how are they accessed.

I would also appreciate a wiring diagram that shows me how the camera and push button are connected into the main harness of the car.

My other thought is to use the hatch door that already has the camera and push button and swap the doors BUT this looks like a pretty formidable job which still requires access to the connectors….

i am also beginning to wonder if the convenience of a backup camera and the Smartkey functionality are worth all the aggravation and hassle……

Thanks again for all the wisdom and experience.

Michael

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They're both definitely worth it. Sooner or later you'll see a little kid in your back up camera that you wouldn't of seen without it.

If the wiring harness is not there it makes sense that your car is not backup camera and smart key equipped or you've simply not found the rest of the harness yet?

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I would think right there where that harness goes into the headliner if your car was equipped with all this before the wiring should be there and then if you wanted to you could take the wiring harness off the hatch that has all the stuff you need and want put that on your hatch that doesn't. And then plug up the connector and you'll see the wires on the car side that now have wires going to them on the hat side both the connectors are probably the same one just has one two or three more wires in it whatever the case is and yes if you get to the wiring diagram posted up here somewhere in the manual you probably will see that.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  5. Michael Crestohl

Michael Crestohl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Essentially the car is wired for the camera and Smartkey button. The hatchback isn’t. Transplanting the wiring harness is an option, i need to know where the connector is.

6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Isn't it right up there in the corner of the headliner I have to go out and look at mine I'm not personally sure but I think it goes right up to one of the corners as I think I've even ripped him out at the junkyard to look at them The connectors that is The connectors that is