1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Adding Homelink mirror

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Lee Jay, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    In the Gen 3, it was possible to add a Homelink mirror to a car that comes without one. I'm wondering if the same is possible for Gen 4 ATP. For reasons that escape me, I can get a car with adaptive radar cruise, lane departure alert, and so forth but no garage door opener. I'm concerned that adding the mirror might be harder in Gen 4 due to the detection systems for ATP being in part up by the mirror mount.

Does anyone have any insight on adding a Homelink mirror to a Gen 4 Three ATP?

2. gvp1995

gvp1995 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I have the same issue. I was looking at Three Touring vs. Four Touring. One has spare tire, the other - HomeLink. And I do need both! There is a thread on this forum how to add a spare tire to the models that don't have it. But much simpler solution would be to add auto-dimmed mirror with HomeLink to model Three. I am not familiar with Gen III, when you say it was possible to add, do you mean Toyota had it as optional? Because in Gen IV it is not optional in Three or Three Touring.

3. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
  4. gvp1995

gvp1995 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    This is interesting. Thank you much! I wonder if this is still true for 2016 model. If so, for me it will be another option. Rather than install a spare tire in Four, I could install the Mirror with Homelink on Three. Now have to figure this out somehow. It looks like salesmen don't have a good idea of what is possible and what not as of now. I heard they will have training in a week or so. But if you learn something about this issue in regards of Gen 4, please post here!

Eric Saxe likes this.
  5. Eric Saxe

Eric Saxe New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am in the same boat. I want to add a homelink mirror to a 2016 Prius Three. I can source the mirrors, just not sure if there is power up in the headliner portion of the car to power the mirror.

Regards,
    Eric

6. gvp1995

gvp1995 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I will not do it myself, but I contacted several dealers, and it looks it is totally possible. The price I was quoted was $400 to install it on Prius 3 Touring

Eric Saxe likes this.
  7. altdel

altdel Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    4GP2ECOBP likes this.
  8. unmesh59

unmesh59 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    altdel,

Please post your experience if you get this done. I'd love to get one installed in my Two ECO.

Thanks.

9. CHC

CHC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

10. CHC

CHC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've got a three with sunroof and advanced technology pkg, After market home link will not work. There is a black plastic trim piece that gets in the way. My tech guy cut it to fit and it still didn't work. The post needs to be longer to get past bump for sunroof. Wasted time and black plastic piece on order. $64.00 for the piece. But, this was not a two and the sunroof controls and the radar cruise control mechanism got in the way. Be careful. Things are different with this new model.

11. gvp1995

gvp1995 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Where did you do it? At the dealers'? Who is your tech guy? I was told by the dealers they should be able to do it no problem. Please give a little more details.

12. altdel

altdel Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    4GP2ECOBP and MrMischief like this.
  13. gvp1995

gvp1995 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Congrats! Did you specifically want this mirror? A dealer quoted me the same price - $400 when (and if) I decide to buy Prius 3. But I think they will install the native one = that comes with Prius 4. At least that was my understanding

14. altdel

altdel Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When I asked the dealer for a quote on replacing the mechanical mirror with a HomeLink mirror, they checked their computer and said there was no HomeLink mirror listed for the 2016 prius, and asked me to call back in a few months. I just went online and bought the best looking mirror and took it to a car stereo shop to have it installed.

15. gvp1995

gvp1995 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I know one should take dealer's word with a grain of salt in both cases: when they say they can, and when they say they cannot. I don't believe anyone posted here installing HomeLink with the dealer. So it remains to be seen. Although I contacted more than one (actually two), and they both said they can do it. The main thing is you did it and it works. Are you happy with the result? Look and functionality?

16. MrMischief

MrMischief Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I hope this doesn't derail the conversation too much, but could Flash2Pass be installed? It's a simple two wire setup you hook to the high beams on your motorcycle, flash the high beam twice and it sends the garage door signal.

17. altdel

altdel Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am 100% happy with the look and functionality! This mirror is the Samsung Galaxy Edge of HomeLink mirrors!

18. Lance

Lance Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I purchased a 2016 Eco and had the dealer install a HomeLink. Works fine.

4GP2ECOBP likes this.
  19. CHC

CHC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

20. Lance

Lance Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The location was Toyota of Boerne (near San Antonio) in late April. Once we were close to a deal I told the salesperson that if they added a HomeLink to the deal I would buy the car. They agreed – I never spoke to anyone in the Service Department. It was installed when I picked it up the next day. I also had one in my 2011 Prius 2. I assume the dealer installed it, but they could have had a vendor install it, I don't know. I was purchasing a new Prius because my 2011 was totaled in a hail storm.

SpecialK likes this.