1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Adding iPod/iPhone to 51883 head unit

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by FrankB, Nov 20, 2013.

1. FrankB

FrankB Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

I recently got a 2010 2 with a 51883 head unit and wanted to be able to play my iPod with more control than AUX in provides and not worry about charging the battery. I had previously purchased what looks like a Yatour from aliexpress for my wife's 2009 Prius which has worked great. It doesn't have a model number but is made by Wiiki Tech and they call it "Car IPOD+AUX-IN MP3 Player Adapter". It appears as a CD changer so you have track control, and auto play/pause. No track information (artist/title/etc).

When I installed this in the 2010, the audio was distorting on some tracks. I assumed it was a bad unit and sent it back to China for a replacement. When the replacement behaved the same I started listening to it and figured that the input was being saturated by too strong of a signal from the iPod and or adapter. I tried different iPods.

I then found an adapter from pac-audio that seemed more capable. I installed the ISTY571 last night and it works great, sound quality is perfect. It shows up as a satellite receiver so you can browse your ipod from the head unit and you get full control and all track information. They have modules that you can add to get HD radio, satellite or bluetooth that will plug in. There is another model that supports bluetooth out of the box, ISTY651.

Frank

#1 FrankB, Nov 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2015