1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Adding more Prius batteries

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by wwiggins, Apr 14, 2012.

1. wwiggins

wwiggins Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I saw on YouTube a lady who had two or three prius batteries from salvage that she put together to extend her EV range. Where do I search to learn how to do this?

Wade

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Um, apparently Youtube. (we might have been able to give more help had you linked the Youtube clip)

3. wwiggins

wwiggins Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It wont let me without posting 5 times

Its entitled nikki drives prius on youtube search.

Wade

4. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE

Here is the link -

5. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I believe this is the same person that blew up her packs in a charging thermal runaway incident. The car was written off by her insurance.

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...lectric-vehicle-mod-under-way-bristol-uk.html

There are a few people out there that have been able to make such a setup work, but it takes VERY close attention to detail with multiple failsafes. If you are going to go to such trouble, use lithium.

6. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yep she blew her Prius up and has now moved onto a Leaf. What she doesn't know about EV's isn't worth knowing. I believe she's also a journo for various EV related websites and publications too - international and UK based.

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    For those who care, the incident is buried in the above thread but can be found here:

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...e-mod-under-way-bristol-uk-32.html#post885615
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...e-mod-under-way-bristol-uk-33.html#post887261
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...e-mod-under-way-bristol-uk-33.html#post889411

It makes one respect the amount of engineering for safety that Toyota must've done (into the hardware and software of stock, unmodified hybrids), which clearly seems successful.

8. wwiggins

wwiggins Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ok, so who has done this successfully? And has others who replicate it successfully? With the pip out it looks like someone would reverse engineer it as a retro fit for non plug in hybrid prius.

Wade

9. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I don't know of anyone who has done multiple NiMH packs in a III. There are a few, mrbigh and nwpriusplus, that have done it in a II. Aftermarket kits are available: Enginer.us, PluginSupply.com.

To put it gently, if you have to ask if it is possible to add NiMH packs to make your III into a DIY PHEV, you are at least a year away from having a safely working system.

10. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    you have a 2012 car... they sell a plug in version for a reason... it would possibly end up costing you more to make a plug in than to just buy it from toyota...

11. Braddles.au

Braddles.au DEFAnitely using an EBH

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Wade
    The Australian company NilCO2 has several packs that can be fitted as a supplement to the existing standard hybrid battery. Convert Your Hybrid into a Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicle have had displays at the Canberra EV festival for at least the past 2 years.
    They have a K40 pack that can be installed and removed without upsetting the car or diagnostics and gives 40km (25 miles) of range. These can only be charged from the mains and can't be charged by the Prius. (c.f. 24km ~ 14 miles with the PiP)
    Their bigger packs like the K140 replace the 1.2kW HV battery with a 14kW battery, plus changes to Prius computer messaging and uprated rear suspension struts.
    Quoting from an email I got from NilCO2, "K140 pack users are recording <0.6 litres/100km at average speeds of >75kph including highway peaks of >100kph. Urban use has clocked prolonged (>80km from a single charge) primarily EV mode consumption down to 0.3 litres/100K."
    NilCO2 also do solar roofs (for non-sunroof models) but don't expect to never plug in again.
    Australia doesn't quite have the Magnussen-Moss provisions, so car manufacturers can blame everything on the unauthorised bumper sticker you fitted instead of acknowledging fault. However, I understand that the K40 kit (which doesn't replace the HV battery) has never caused issues with Toyota Australia.

12. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Why buy a brand new 2012 $$$ car when you can get a used Gen II and convert it using kits which have proven themselves? Using a 2012 PiP for this would be nuts right now IMO.

13. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Now that's interesting. Will give it some serious reading.

14. wwiggins

wwiggins Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The pip is not in KY yet. Wont be until 2013.

So I can't just go and buy one.

Wade

15. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'd imagine you could probably get one from an out of state dealer.

16. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You CAN go and buy one, you are just going to have to go farther than Kentucky.

Should still be cheaper and more reliable than making your own.

(if you follow Paradox's advice, I will sacrifice and trade my 2009 for a 2012 straight across)

17. wwiggins

wwiggins Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was under the impression demand was out pacing supply, and these cars were being ordered, not just sitting around on blots for any length of time. Also there are no states adjacent to mine selling them. It would be a long ride to discuss buying a car.

If i did purchase it way out of state would my local dealer have any reservations about servicing it under warantee?

What is the closest pip lot to me?

Im in western KY next to Evansville Ind.

Wade

18. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  19. solarPiP

solarPiP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    just for your consideration:
    I'm in dallas, tx and had mine shipped about 1k miles from Tuscon, Az.

Az won't be getting anymore, btw.
    they financed in the shipping charge, $1200, with the car purchase.
    not terrible.

20. lopezjm2001

lopezjm2001 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The K40 pack is a 4kwh Enginer kit. You can buy these on EBay and have it delivered to Australia and install it yourself if you like DIY stuff. Nilco2 is an authorized dealer and installer of Enginer kits.

Enginer | Solar Powered Prius Plug-in PHEV Conversion Kit with Lithium-Ion | Hybrid

Enginer PHEV | eBay

Nilco2 told me that the K140 pack is home grown technology. Most PHEV kits in the USA if not all of them do not replace the OEM HV battery.