1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Adding Napthalene (Old Fashioned Moth Balls) for better gas

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Vic, Apr 28, 2004.

1. victor

victor New Member

Gilching Bavaria Germany, & Drapanos, Crete, G
    Re: Adding Napthalene (Old Fashioned Moth Balls) for better

Soooo,

If moth balls wont work, how about Slug Pellets?

:lol:

2. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

3. bookrats

bookrats New Member

[​IMG]

'Nuff said, True Believers!

4. Jaguar88

Jaguar88 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

I used to work with alkyl naphthalene in the late 70's. At one time it was used as the primary ingredient in some octane boosters. This would be a better chemical to use than straight naphthalene because it won't crystallize in your tank--if you want to experiment.

I used it in my volks wagon for about six months and I didn't see any improvement in gas milage. If you are still interested we used to buy if from Shell but I am sure other distributors would carry it as well, or be able to order it. I used 12 ounces per tankful and I have heard you could use it straight without adverse affects, however it was not cheaper than gasoline.

I think most of the octane boosters today use some sort of oxygenated compound. I haven't checked on these lately but I would expect them to reduce you milage and possibly interfere with the prius emissions sensors.

On the other hand you may have to add more than 12 ounces to see any effect. I think five pints would give a 5% concentration in a 12 gallon tank.

I doubt that any hydrocarbon will increase milage or power because they all have similar energy content. If you can replace an oxygenated compound with a hydrocarbon there should be some benefit (maybe not measurable) and it will probably be very expensive.

5. Hybrid_Dave

Hybrid_Dave New Member

Octane Boosters these days rely mainly on MMT (google Ethyl MMT to find more info than you can throw a stick at)...essentially, Ethyl Corp, now Afton Chemical, developed and used MMT as far back as 50 years ago as a way to remove lead from gasoline and decrease knock retard...hence the pure purpose of an Octane Booster you can foolishly buy at your local auto parts store. Although the amount of MMT, pure MMT, is regulated at 1/1000th of an ounce per 55 gallon drum of octane boost mixture that's bottled and distributed. Strong stuff, and in anything more than a gallon of the stuff it'll "suck the paint off your house and give your family a permanent orange afro"...

Canada and Ethyl have been in long time disputes and legal battles with the use of MMT and have essentially banned it in any form from their country. Now you can put an eyedropper of pure MMT (or I should say, about 1/10th of an eyedropper into your tank and it will treat about 200 tanks, but it's very dangerous unless your a chemist, or heavily into petroleum additive research and development. Plus, with only a handful of plants manufacturing MMT in reactors (Jax Florida, Texas City, Texas, and South Carolina), the chances you can get a hold of pure MMT are impossible.

The company I work for is in process of building two more reactors in both Hong Kong and Warsaw, Poland to essentially rid the entire world of any leaded gasoline remaining...but hey, just giving you a little more info on the stuff...remember, drinking MMT will ruin your weekend :p