1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

adding rear view camera/blue tooth

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by suprat04r, Dec 21, 2011.

1. suprat04r

suprat04r Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hi guys,

i'm about to purchase a prius and a 2nd gen (i can afford for now). i know per options, some of them came with backup camera and bluetooth.

for those years and models that didn't come with either, can you still install them on?
    it's easier to find prius' without the options i want, and hopefully i can install them after market and still have it work almost as good as factory?

thanks for any advice/help!

2. kimberlylgale

kimberlylgale New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I purchased a 2010 Prius II in June 2011. It did not come with the navigation package (which includes bluetooth and the backup camera). You can have the entire package installed - which is expensive around $2500. They did tell me that they can install each item separate. I had the bluetooth installed - it was $250 plus labor. I want to have the backup camera done too but I haven't had an estimate for that yet.

3. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If all you want is rear camera and bluetooth, then do not use a Dealer. A quality hack shack can do this easily and for much less. Find the good car first. ;)

4. AussieOwner

AussieOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have a search through the threads - there are a number of threads that I have commented on about fitting an after market reversing camera. You will find that the MFD on those models that do not have the nav package will not be able to support the video feed from the reversing camera - so you may want to consider an alternative for the camera.

5. twolane

twolane Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Has anyone retro fitted a different MFD with the video in to enable the use of the factory reverse camera? Say an 06+ into an 04-05?
    Thanks!

6. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the resolution of the 06+ screen is different than the 04-05 screen, so you cannot hook up factory a camera to an 04 or 05. You can go aftermarket, there are dashboard and rearview mirror units, prices vary with features as you can even get them with navigation (about $1000). If you have a shop run the wires, make sure the connector for the camera can be easily accessed so you can change the cameras yourself. (cameras are exposed to the elements and thus not as reliable as the rest of the system)

Although the quality is not a good, the one silver lining of the aftermarket systems is you probably can use them even when you are not in reverse, a feature some people seem to enjoy.

James1964 likes this.
  7. James1964

James1964 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Do you happen to know the better camera brands, models for 05 G2?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

8. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Your probably not going to get an answer to your question anytime soon. This is an ancient thread (7 years old), and the person your asking the question of hasn't been seen in 2 years).

9. James1964

James1964 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ha! Message in a bottle then, lol. Thanks for the heads up.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.