1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Adding RS3200 / GBS

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by garypear, Feb 23, 2005.

1. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Yes. See my post two posts up. :iagree :lolup:

2. garypear

garypear New Member

Today I had my alarm turned on at Toyota of North Hollywood in So. Calif. in conjunction with adding the GBS.

Since I'm sure the others who have posted success re: having the alarm turned on by a simple few minutes use of the Scantool are telling the truth, I conclude the difficulties encountered by my technician were caused by my adding a GBS instead of just having the alarm turned on.

The technician working on my car WAS NOT ABLE TO TURN ON THE ALARM until he unplugged a yellow wire (from pin 1 on a 10 pin module?) This procedure is described on page 10 of the RS3200 instructions WHICH ARE NOT THE SAME as the GBS add-on instructions posted on another thread on PriusChat.

My impression was that the yellow wire was on a module already on the car (and not something that came in the RS3200). I asked the tech after he got it working if he thought the reason why others were able to turn on the alarm using just the Scantool was that they weren't adding the GBS (RS3200 in my case.) He didn't think so but wasn't sure. I asked him if the module with the yellow wire was where the GBS plugged into and he said no.

It's likely the RS3200 instructions are on http://techinfo.toyota.com/tech (labeled as such and thus easily distinguishable from the file labeled GBS add on) and when I eventually subscribe I'll post anything else I learn about the yellow wire if someone else still hasn't already.

Although the RS3200 and GBS share the same part number, the RS3200 instructions has a "V5" and the GBS has a "V2" - but that's a distinction with significance I expect does not extend beyond those instructions (I think the hardware is the same.)

Regarding the GBS itself, setting the sensitivity to "8" as directed in the instructions DID NOT WORK. Repeated (fairly hard and nerve racking) raps on the glass would not make the alarm even sound a warning, much less go off. Although the instructions did not specify whether one should raise or lower the number to raise or lower sensitivity, the tech guessed correctly and raising it to "9" (he said it was probably "9" but might have been "10" - the highest) made the alarm respond to a moderate tap on the glass (on the 1st attempt).

It's probably because my alarm has been active for only hours but I don't yet understand why the alarm ALWAYS waits 30 seconds before activating. In my opinion, it should activate 30 seconds after the last door is closed but ALSO IMMEDIATELY after the doors are locked (either by remote or outside button.) I see no downside to that since one wishing to reenter immediately after having locked the doors/activating the alarm has to unlock the doors to get in and that deactivtes the alarm. What am I missing?

3. TucsonPrius

TucsonPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    For those that are interested, you can get a copy of the installation instructions for the RS3200 (really the Glass breakage sensor) by using Fujitsu Ten's fax back service. Just call 310 327 9905 and request document 10056.

And yes, the scantool is required to activate the alarm.

Thanks,
    Shawn

4. TucsonPrius

TucsonPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I looked more carefully at the instructions, and the wire that needs to be removed is the yellow one (#4?) in connector 16P in the drivers side junction box.

Anyone with the wiring diagrams understand why? Could disconecting this alone activate the RS3200? I know in the Tacoma disconnecting one wire activates the alarm.

Thanks,
    Shawn

5. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I started looking in the wiring diagrams the other day Shawn, and haven't found where that wire goes yet. Will let you know when I find it.

6. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I don't think there is one. Others have just had the DOR setting changed, and the alarm worked.

There is already a connector for the GBS. You need the scantool to enable that input.

7. TucsonPrius

TucsonPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    DanMan,

According to the RS3200 install instructions, the yellow wire (#4 pin) in J/B 16P does need to be disconnected.

Why? I don't know.

Thanks,
    Shawn

8. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Only 2 yellow wires that seem exclusive to theft deterrent: pin 1 on B6 for security horn, and pin 5 on 1K which is B+ going to GBS harness. There is also a yellow wire going to the relay coil for the regular horn.

The other yellow wires from body ECU/JB are for switch to detect fob in slot, and for controlling/detecting door locks.

9. removeum

removeum Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    8) DanMan32

10. TucsonPrius

TucsonPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Please note the above is for the GBS install.

For the most part it is the same as for the RS3200 install that I've got, except they don't include the instructions for activating the RS3200 via the scantool, nor the mysterious yelow wire business.

I've attached page 11 of the 27 pages from the fax. Sorry for the quality that it's a tif, but it should get the job done.

Thanks,
    Shawn

11. Kyle Pehrson

Kyle Pehrson Member

Better late than never.
    But I have found the connector It's B6 I have spent too long on this already & have come to the conclusion that it is not in the EWD I can't find a diagram that shows B6 pin 4. It has always worked for me without removing this pin maybe the tech was doing something wrong.

12. garypear

garypear New Member

I'm the one who's tech had to remove the yellow wire to get the Scantool to turn on the alarm. I suppose it's possible he did something wrong but it didn't work before and it did work after and it IS in the instructions for the RS3200 so that doesn't seem to likely IMHO. Still have to wonder if it doesn't have more to do with my install actually installing the GBS (as opposed to just turning on the alarm.)

That having been said, do I need to worry that him having removed the yellow wire may have deactivated some other function on the car?

So apparently the alarm DOES have a built in "going off" delay (in addition to the 30 second passive activation delay. Anyone know what the reason for that is?

13. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I also found B6 in the connector list , Kyle. But if the instructions say to remove the wire,Toyota must have some reason for telling you to do that. I have looked thru every page in the wiring diagram manual and the yellow, pin 4 wire, is not shown. So maybe we don't need to know about it. I say if it works when done the way it is supposed to,don't try to guess what the engineers are coming up with,unless you want to re-engineer it. They must know what they are doing, :lol:

14. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Does anyone know if such a yellow wire truly exists on pin 4 of B6?

15. Kyle Pehrson

Kyle Pehrson Member

I could be wrong I've been wrong before. Something is different not saying the Tech is the problem.
    Rick there are alot of things that the engineries thing we don't need to know. That is very frustrating. I can tell you that I removed the wire for GBS install & that I have turned on the alarm w/o installing a GBS & unpluging the wire. The customer has not come back with any problems, But I didn't charge them anything & it would sound when door was opened after setting alarm. I will agree that it should be removed but I won't agee that quote "So maybe we don't need to know about it. I say if it works when done the way it is supposed to,don't try to guess what the engineers are coming up with,unless you want to re-engineer it. They must know what they are doing." I would like to know WHY sorry Rick. I don't quit so easy. If I have to ask the engineer I will do that no problem.
    There has to be a reason why it worked on one but not an other. I tried it on an 05 Shawn's is an 04 like mine. I will try it on an 04 tomorrow if I can find one. Mine has the GBS so it will not work.

16. garypear

garypear New Member

What do you mean yours has the GBS and so it will not work?

I keep wondering if the reason my tech guy had to pull the yellow wire was BECAUSE I was adding the GBS (technically in the form of an RS3200) whereas others were JUST turning the alarm on via the Scantool without adding a GBS.

17. Kyle Pehrson

Kyle Pehrson Member

I know that you have to pull the wire out with the GBS The question is does it have to be pulled if the GBS is not installed. Did the Technician try to turn it on before he installed the GBS or after? That is what I was talking about "did the Tech do something wrong" what I should have said was did he do something different.

18. garypear

garypear New Member

Can't say for sure but after it was all over I asked him if he thought the reason why others could do it without pulling the wire was because I was installing the GBS whereas others were just turning on the alarm and he at first said no but then suggested he might try using the Scantool without adding the GBS.

Don't think it would occur to him to try something he had already tried.

He also probably followed whatever procedure is described in the GBS instructions.

19. Kyle Pehrson

Kyle Pehrson Member

I'll bet this wire is redundant once the GBS is installed. I wonder what would happen if you removed the wire and did nothing else.

20. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Hmm, looks like the wiring diagram is missing lots of stuff. I can't find the info/map/voice command/answer steering wheel controls anywhere.