Adding the LED Accent Lights to Prime Plus & Premium

Discussion in 'Prime Accessories and Modifications' started by William T Roney III, Jun 14, 2017.

1. citiprius

citiprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Thanks for sharing. I finally finished mine last week, took me about 6 hours. I looks awesome!

20180225_133517.jpg

2. PHV PLS

PHV PLS Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius PHV
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    im too chicken to take the light assembly apart! But ill give this a stab on the weekend once i face my fears! I love how it looks. good job on taking on this task!

3. Roy2001

Roy2001 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Thanks OP. Ordered from ebay.

4. citiprius

citiprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Actually, the 5-way female connector already has the 12V +ve and ground (black) available, all you have to do is add a pin (I used 2 staples, straighten it) to the connector and connect your LED +ve connection to that pin, and connect the -ve to the black wire (I solder the wire to the circuit board inside the Light module). This 12V is controlled by the day time running light switch, so that's perfect.

#24 citiprius, Nov 5, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  5. Rexq

Rexq Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium

Where is this? I just did this last month and not being able to turn them off is annoying me, was thinking of adding a relay to the DRL light switch but this would be easier.

Attached Files:

6. citiprius

citiprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    This is the same 5-way harness that connects directly to the LED module
    It is the connector (and the only one) from the front LED turn signal module. The male (attached to the module) has has 2 wires from the module. But the female (attached to the car) has 4 wires, one with 12V is controlled by the DRL switch on the steering wheel turn signal rod. see the picture below. I believe the 4th wire might be for the fog light. But can't test it since my Premium model does not have the fog light switch on the dash panel.

7. Rexq

Rexq Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium

Thank you! I know what I'm doing this weekend!

8. lextoy

lextoy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    question for future repairs...i have a 2018 PREMIUM PRIME.
    if someday i get some front end bumper damage, and its time for repair/replacement.
    and if the light is damaged (likely due to placement)
    would it be a good time to order the light module from the ADVANCE trim ?
    my guess is it would be a simple swap, only difference would be harness connector that should just plug right in?
    might even be able to do fog light retrofit while everything is apart... i'm sure parts are all on 1 page of the bumper assembly.
    but i'm mostly interested if the ADVANCE light would be instantly compatible??
    insurance claim for bumper repair would cover most of the costs, just have to pay difference for the upgraded lights...
    i havent had a claim for bumper repair in 25 years, but good idea to be prepared if it happens.
    i was waiting to fix a fog light on my benz for 15 years!!! accident never happened, just sold the car...
    this could benefit any unlucky souls whos bumpers get damaged, they could end up with a sweet upgrade for little extra cost.
    i dont know if any custom shops are doing this DIY upgrade yet, but if they would it would not be cheap, 4-6 hours?? i'm sure it would be expensive.

9. lextoy

lextoy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    after looking up the difference in parts, i see that the fog light is part of the main lamp housing, all one big plastic housing.
    so you would need the black trim panel with the cutout for the fog light. thats it.
    and thinking about it, since the plus or the premium dont have a fog light switch,
    likely easiest fix is to splice the wire for the fog into the DRL powered wire as mentioned above.
    then accent lights and fog lights are always on if you have the DRL on.