1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Adding TPMS to Full Size Spare?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by 55ticoga, Aug 25, 2018.

1. 55ticoga

55ticoga Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've just purchased a used full size wheel for my 2015 Prius. I was thinking I would incorporate it into my rotation, doing a 5 wheel rotation. This is what I do on my other car. It has worked well over the last two decades. When I get new tires, I simply replace all five. But, I didn't think about one thing . . . my other car doesn't have TPMS. Now, I can easily purchase a TPMS sensor for this 5th wheel. But, can the Prius accommodate five wheels with TPMS sensors?

Thanks!

2. RMB

RMB Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    49BD4916-D261-4484-B018-CEA4446DE5BE.jpeg I believe you can program 5 tpms sensors? Here’s an image, Techstream can show 5 sensor id’s but I personally has never added a 5th sensor to confirm.

3. 55ticoga

55ticoga Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks @RMB. I ran across this thread yesterday afternoon:

TPMS Management with Techstream | PriusChat

That thread, and the video link in the first post were very beneficial to me. In that video, a guy with a highlander has a spare tire with a TPMS sensor, showing that it might be able to be done (on the Prius). However, on that Highlander, his spare tire is stored in the car. I'm afraid this isn't going to work for me. My plan was to do a five wheel rotation, but leave the unused fifth wheel in the garage. (Sorry, my 2015 is a plug-in. I just realize that I didn't mention that in my first post. So, I have no on-board spare tire storage location.)

I'm realizing how ignorant I have been about TPMS.

So, I believe that if I leave the tire not currently being used, in the garage, my TPMS light would come on, whenever we are out driving the car around. I think this plan would force ne to use Techstream to reprogram the sensors after every tire rotation. I suppose I could do that. I'd have to buy a copy of the knock-off Techstream software on ebay. Regardless, this initial idea of mine is getting more complicated.

Thanks again!

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, maybe forget about getting it into the rotation and tpms, relegated it to "spare" status.

5. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yap, you are going to have TPMS warning lit, if your full size spare is not on board. Regarding to the knock-off Techstream, I have read here that some ver had problem using it to program TPMS. For me, miniVCI that came with could not be recognized by my computer, I had to abandon the idea of using Techstream all together. :(

I also have a full size spare for my Prime which do not have space to store spare tire just like your PIP. It is on cheap steel wheel without TPMS. I keep it in my garage, for my driving is almost always within 30 miles from my home. If I need a spare, I can just call home to have the spare brought to me. My plan was to take it with the car if I plan to travel a long trip in area where no services, but so far I haven't done that trip.

6. 55ticoga

55ticoga Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for the replies!