1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Adding TPMS

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by uncleflip, Jan 30, 2018.

1. uncleflip

uncleflip Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Howye!

I;m one of those weirdos who likes having tire pressure monitors. (This was solidified when I got a flat on I-20, heading into Atlanta at I-285, and the TPMS on my 2010 Prius was my first indication of something wrong at a spot of interstate where there are few options for getting off the interstate to a safe shoulder for changing a tire.)

OK, to the point (apologies for my longwindedness).

I lost my 2010 Prius to a tree, and replaced it with a 2014. The 2010 had TPMS, and the 2014 does not. One of the local Toyota dealers says it cannot add this to the car. Anyone have any conflicting info?

Thanks!

Be well
    -UF

2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The 2014 should be same as 2010.
    All USA Prii since 2006 have TPMS because it is mandated by law.

(I think 2008 was the mandated start year but 2006+ Prii have it)

#2 wjtracy, Jan 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  3. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What type of valve stems on your car?

Welcome to Prius Chat.

4. uncleflip

uncleflip Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was basing the no TPMS on the fact it does not show up in the car info section on the touch screen system on the console. I figured if it was on that car it would appear there just like it says in the owner's manual. Maybe I have a dumbed-down system that just has the little yellow light on the upper display.

It's also odd that when I mentioned adding TPMS to the guy at the Toyota dealer, he did not say anything about it already having it.

I can go out and take a picture of the valve stems once I get a shower and get dressed.

Be well
    -UF

5. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Deflate a tire to 15 lbs and go for a drive, your dash will give a red exclamation where the tpms icon is, kidding.
    The tpms is the valve stem, not a system that tells the pressure of each tire like others offer, find a new dealer.
    This winter I addd new winter wheels to my wifes rave4 hybrid, the jobber matched the new tpms to the old tpms so the system always sees the tpms without going to the dealer and having them do it, nifty.
    Tpms can be bought for 20$+ each,and the tool to match them is 150$+, or, a jobber can do it, the dealer has to match them each time you chamge from summer to winter wheels.

6. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    There are plenty of choices now in aftermarket TPMS. Some are just pressure sensors that simply screw onto you valve stem.
    and some have a display you can mount on your dash and others use a smartphone for a display. It's the fastest way to get TPMS.

Just an example, I don't know how good this stuff works so if you go this route read the reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Vesafe-Monitoring-Real-time-CL-201-Temperature/dp/B01LA8LL12/ref=sr_1_19?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1517414562&sr=1-19&keywords=tpms

7. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a 2009 GenII which is equipped with built-in TPMS. The summer wheels are the OEM alloys (fitted with TPMS) which came with the car; the winter wheels are steelies (without TPMS) shod with snow-tires and are on the car from November to April. I didn't fancy going through the hassle and expense of adding TPMS to the steelies, so I found this:

on amazon, and they're dead easy to install, and give both the pressure AND the temperature of each tyre!
    I was thinking about getting one (or both) of my 2 ScanGauge-IIs upgraded to read the TPMS info. (see threads passim), but I already use both of the SG-IIs for other instrumentation so the Cacagoo solution was the simplest and least expensive for my needs! hope this helps - Wil

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    UncleFlip-
    By the way, sorry about that tree and welcome to PriusChat.

I agree TPMS can be nice thing, unfort. so far Toyota has not given Prius the read-out screen of the pressures. So if you want that you have the choices mentioned above, or you can get a reader such as Techstream and recently they are adding to ScanGauge.

9. uncleflip

uncleflip Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    wjtracy:

Interesting what you say about not giving Prius the readout screen. In the manuals that came with my 2014 it shows what the readout screen looks like, with pressures for all four tires and the spare.

But the mystery is over. I stopped by another local dealer today, and they ran the VIN, and let me know I do indeed have TPMS, but not the one that will show all four tires. Just the yellow light on the dashboard, which will tell you one of the tires is low, but not which one. I am happy with this. That is what I had before.

Be well
    -UF

wjtracy and WilDavis like this.