1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Additional clicking noise while using blinker while turning.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by FantasticalMagicOne, Aug 31, 2019.

1. FantasticalMagicOne

FantasticalMagicOne Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I noticed an additional clicking noise when I use my blinker while turning. It only happens when I use my blinker and while I am turning. It does not happen when I turn without using my blinker, nor does it happen if I sit with the blinker on without turning. All the lights are functioning as they should. I noticed it a couple of months ago, but only got around to recording it. I didn't want to make an inquiry until it was available for others to hear, as I know I sound nuts for being concerned about a clicking noise when I use my blinker. It can be heard at 0:01 and 0:03.

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Doesn’t sound the same as the blinker click. Was the steering wheel turning when the click happened? I’m wondering if the sound is from the auto-cancel cam in the turn signal control, or something else.

WilDavis likes this.
  3. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, different click. Yes, the steering wheel is turning when it happens. How would I check the auto-cancel cam?

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Does the steering column make a clicking sound when you are turning the steering wheel and NOT signaling a turn?

If yes, that is caused by plastic trim rubbing against the steering column shaft.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    'it does not happen when i turn, not using my blinker'

6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I haven’t had a toyota apart for this, so it’s uncharted territory for me. On the other hand, most cars are done the same, where the auto-cancel hardware is integrated into the turn signal switch. There will be a cam on the steering shaft that bumps a cam follower as you turn the wheel, such that subsequently turning the wheel in the opposite direction will cause the turn signal to return to the neutral position and cancel the signal. Usually the cam and follower are nylon plastic and after enough years they can get dried out or torn up and then they don’t work or sound right. So it could just be a new sound with no other consequence for quite a while, but it could be an early warning that the switch unit is going.

A sound from the wheel while turning the wheel can also be wear on the clockspring connector, which connects electrical gear in the steering wheel to the rest of the car. Test your horn and steering wheel mounted switches to see if any have gone out recently.

7. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You don't. Perfectly normal noise.
    It is more noticeable in some cars than others.

8. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    None of the buttons circled in yellow are functioning, and I always use the MFD for climate control, so I have no idea how long they've been like this. The stereo buttons have always been wonky, sometimes the volume only increases, regardless of which button you press. The buttons to change the CD tracks are all over the place, sometimes only one of them works and it changes direction (if I select the button to go back a track, it will move forward and vice versa) and it's not always the same button and there's no pattern as to which way it will go, sometimes they work as they should, and other times they don't work at all. I had a double DIN stereo installed the week I bought the car, so I don't know if they were like that when I got the car, or if it began when the stereo changed. My A/C Auto button used to put the air conditioner on the highest fan speed at the lowest temperature, and now it just turns it on/off and the fan speed changes when I use the temperature button (the fan is now very loud when it transitions, but I hardly ever change the speed so that's another thing that I don't know how long it's been like that). All of the other controls are in proper working order.

Not sure it's worth mentioning, but I did recently need to change a tail light (a few weeks ago) and a headlight (last Monday). The new headlight is brighter than the other, but since we were on vacation, I only changed the one and intended to change the other when I got back and just haven't made the time to do it.

upload_2019-9-1_19-17-19.png

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    aha!

nice call lead foot

10. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought of my stereo controls as soon as I read that, but I've had the car for a few years and this is a new noise. But I can tell you without hesitation that the climate control buttons were functional when I bought the car. Honestly, I use the MFD to control the climate because I always forget those buttons are there. So it seems that the clockspring connector is the place to start.

11. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sounds like your clock spring is going out in addition to the clicking sound you are experiencing ;).

Be careful if you source a cheap eBay cable, as they can be finicky :cool:.

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

WilDavis and FantasticalMagicOne like this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe it is starting to rub against something

Raytheeagle likes this.
  13. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    +1;).

Once it’s unseated from its usual location, tolerances are tight:cool:.

When doing the swap, make sure to keep the 12v disconnected for a long time to avoid the air bag deploying :eek:.

bisco and FantasticalMagicOne like this.
  14. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I learned my lesson with the A/F sensor, only OEM parts will be put into this car.

Thanks for the heads up.

Is it part #843060E010?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  15. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I’d look at toyotapartsdeal.com for the part number;).

For $20, you could also access the repair manual and get everything you need for the job:).

But @ericbecky has done this job before and knows the pitfalls and potentials (y).

FantasticalMagicOne likes this.
  16. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have quite a bit of the manual, but of course I don't have that section.:unsure: I grew very weary of right-clicking the last time I bought a 2-day pass. :whistle:

Is this the part I'm supposed to be looking for? upload_2019-9-1_20-41-3.png

17. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    That looks right;).

Just make sure your year is correct to ensure you get the right one as there could have been changes :cool:.

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

18. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    @FantasticalMagicOne Yes, that’s one of the parts I’ve referenced. Of course we still don’t know if that’s your click sound, but apparently other faults have emerged that may be enough to warrant replacement.

19. FantasticalMagicOne

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, it seems that it should be replaced. Am I understanding correctly that if it's the auto-cancel cam that I will likely need to replace the turn signal switch as the cam is likely integrated into it?

If I replace it then I will, but I am chasing down a separate issue that I don't need help with (yet), which is why I didn't inquire about it. :LOL: It threw some u codes on Thursday and I found a short in the CAN bus line to B+ (less than 6kΩ) when I measured at the DLC3, and I haven't gone in to measure the resistance of the harness connectors yet. I suspect I'll have to replace the connector and either the main wire or the branch wire. But if I'm wrong and it turns out that the ECU needs to be replaced, then I'll officially deem it a money pit and get rid of it. In which case, I won't be changing any parts. But this clicking has been DRIVING ME BONKERS, and I really needed to ask about it.

It'd be just my luck that it'd be the ECU as I just got the HA grid charger and discharger. :(

#19 FantasticalMagicOne, Sep 1, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    WilDavis and Raytheeagle like this.
  20. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    That’s how most cars have been built since the 70s, anyway...