1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Additional Data Recording for Prime

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by Tideland Prius, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just FYI for anyone that is curious. This is different from the Event Data Recorder (EDR) that we've had in the Prius since at least Gen 2.

I'm curious about the part that says "record images outside of the vehicle".

There's an onboard camera somewhere? Or am I misinterpreting that statement.

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    If there aren't cams for a 360 degree view (Front, rear and bottom of both side view mirrors), maybe it is the camera used for lane keep assist mounted behind the windshield. I guess it records x second(s) of what it 'sees' or something? Then there is the rear camera...

Tideland Prius likes this.
  3. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    There are two. One on the rear of the car, and another wide angle pointed forward that is next to the rear view mirror. The front facing camera is used for the lane keeping assistance/warning.

4. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. Completely forgot about the LDA camera. I guess rear camera too. Front makes more sense. It says certain grades. Perhaps it's part of PED? Predictive Efficient Driving.

5. DavidA

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    PED is more GPS based, is it not? The way I read the press release sounded like PED learned the car's most taken routes and it gets better at predicting when one should lay off the pedal the more often those routes were driven. If that was camera based, I can't think that Toyota would have technology that mature yet - TESLA maybe.

I would guess that data from braking and acceleration is matched to GPS data acquisition. Would be easier to store in memory.

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes I do recall it appearing to be GPS-related based on the media release. I thought it might be smart enough to use the camera to read stop signs (The European models have road sign assist to display speed limits)

7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    How close is the PED to the Energi system that learns your home and other regular destinations?

8. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I guess none of the tin foil-hatters will be getting this car then. ;)

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    PED appears to be an enroute thing rather than a home/destination. So I guess it doesn't matter as long as you regularly use a route enough that the system can mark it as a stop sign.

Further reading reveals that the images recorded occur when PCS Brake Assist or PCS Braking occurs. The data is then transmitted to Toyota. It doesn't say how long the images are kept for. Could be useful, especially if someone reverses into you. Even without a dashcam, you can claim that PCS didn't activate and therefore you didn't hit them (assuming it's a collision greater than 10km/h)

10. DavidA

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Just do this:

But then, if you tape over the front facing camera, and you aren't paying attention to the road like you should, and you slide off the road and into something, and someone else's car camera captures you and your car in an accident or awkward situation, then it wouldn't have been such a good idea to have taped over your front facing camera in the first place.

#10 DavidA, Oct 27, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Predictive Efficient Drive is only available in the U.S..

12. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Is there enough clearance between head space and the ceiling to wear a tin foil hat without crushing it and looking silly?