1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

adizon's 2010 Prius V

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by adizon, Jan 14, 2015.

1. adizon

adizon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Already on it, see next post for the Photochop! They're not bad, but I'm thinking they may be as heavy as the wheels I have now, but that's just me speculating.

I think your color on the newer gen 17" stock wheels looks great too. Only thing about my stockers is the weight of the wheel being in the 24lb range. For such a low horsepower car the weight makes the Prius work harder. For me it's a fine balance of weight, aesthetics, quality, and cost that I'm looking for.

Yeah, I've looked at some, nothing that really worked for me when I Photoshopped them on. I've owned two sets of RPF1's on my WRX, and am a big fan of Enkei wheels, just not on the Prius.

Oh, and yes, I really like the oem TSS and Plus wheels. Plus wheels are easy to source, just a little spendy. Then again they are forged! Strength of a forged wheel is nice when rolling on thinner sidewalled 215/45r17's. As for the TSS, I have yet to find some accurate/consensus weight info on them. Anyone know?

2. adizon

adizon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    More chops to consider (all part of my process) . . . .

ct200h f @saulbassfan
    [​IMG]

Team Dynamics Pro Race 1 17x7 +38mm anthracite
    [​IMG]

Though I would push for 17's over 18's these aren't bad
    Prodrive GT1 18x7.5 Bright Flitter
    [​IMG]

Prodrive GT1 18x7.5 Gloss Black
    [​IMG]

zrad, Dylan Doxey and BPZVW30 like this.
  3. Accordlayingkit

Accordlayingkit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    the gloss black kinda look good too!

adizon likes this.
  4. saulbassfan

saulbassfan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Very cool!

adizon likes this.
  5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    TSS Grey or FR-S/BR-Z rims (the latter I believe require spacers).

adizon likes this.
  6. Burna J

Burna J Knot Right Performance....

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Your other rides were sweet @adizon. Looking forward to seeing your plans with this one. !!
    Oh by the way, I think you pick the best color...... but I could be a little bias. :whistle:

saulbassfan and adizon like this.
  7. Starbrand

Starbrand Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    oh he definitely picked the best color. :LOL: possibly bias as well though.

Pics are great by the way. definitely something that could help others decide as well.

Burna J and adizon like this.
  8. adizon

adizon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I do like the BBS SR machined too, but just haven't found what these look like in 17x7.5 from multiple angles, oh and they weigh close to 21.8lbs and would cost $400-$500 more than the FRS/BRZ at (20.1 lbs or so). But yeah, I do like the side profile photochop!

Yeah TSS would be sweet, not sure what they cost or weigh though.

The FRS/BRZ seem to be a real bargain wheel even with the spacer need. Plus they would be about 3.5-4 lbs lighter than my oem 17" wheels. I'd like to push it out 10mm if possible using H&R trak + spacers, and get some hub centering rings/spigot from there. Though I have not scene it in person the few photos I've scene with the 3mm spacer leaves very very little space between the front caliper and the wheel. Piece of mind says get at least a 5mm spacer, but 10 would look a little sweeter!

9. adizon

adizon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    So this weekend, after the wife and kids were asleep for the night I wanted to test fit my old spare BBS wheel that I had from my recently sold Forester.

Prius Five 17x7 +50mm 54.1cb 24lbs.
    STI BBS 17x7.5 +53mm 56.1cb 15.5 +/- lbs.

Please excuse the messy garage. Testing up front tons of clearance over the front caliper as well as strut.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next I tested the rear, again for caliper and strut clearance. Tons of clearance back there too!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now let's see what they would look like on . . . . hmm not too bad!
    [​IMG]

10. TopRamen

TopRamen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That looks sweet, I didn't know Subaru was 5x100. That's thinking out of the box.

adizon likes this.
  11. BPZVW30

BPZVW30 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I like this look a lot adizon!

Prius_ProdriveGT1flitter-X2.jpg

adizon likes this.
  12. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Your Prius looks great.
    I really like the shift knob.

Since it seems your primary impetus for getting a Prius and Hybrid was the growth of your family, I'm going to risk saying something potentially inflammatory to the general Prius community.

In case you didn't know, or haven't thought about it, I really, really recommend snow tires with The Prius. Even in moderate to light winter conditions.

IMO The Prius has a very aggressive Vehicle Stability Control. If the vehicle senses wheels slipping it cuts braking power to different wheels to maintain stability. This can make even a small patch of ice, or even a light snow a scary experience.

For the past decade in the urban area in which I live, and with a Honda Fit and a Honda Accord respectively, I felt I could do fine all winter with just good "all season" tires.

I don't feel that way with The Prius....a rear end collision and a 2nd scary braking scenario, both when VSC kicked in, has convinced me that The Prius should be operated in the winter with winter tires.

This is just my personal experience and opinion. But that is my recommendation. Prius...get a winter tire that improves snow and ice traction.

13. adizon

adizon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

Thanks for looking out man!

Hehe, Winter's here in the San Francisco Bay Area, have been pretty non-exsistent in my 26 years or so of driving. If I lived in an area where there was snow, I would definitely have a set of winter wheels/tires.

14. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, admittedly I'm not familiar with the San Francisco Bay Area winters. But the NW urban area where I live also has had very mild winters. In about 10-15 years I never felt I needed winter tires on my vehicles. This winter so far all we've had is one night/ a few hours of snow that melted off within 24 hours, and a few days/weeks of some very very cold temperature drops.

Just be warned, that IMO The Prius does have a very aggressive vehicle stability control system. That can be good...and IMO also bad.

If you are use to Subaru's, and vehicles with All-Wheel Drive systems...The Prius is different.

I never felt I needed specific winter tires on any of the vehicles I owned before The Prius given the winter environment I routinely drive in.
    Next winter I'm buying winter tires.

adizon likes this.
  15. sfprankster

sfprankster Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    When it snows in the SF Bay Area, which is rarely, you will see more iPhones pointed to the sky to record the event, than snowflakes coming down. :D

adizon likes this.
  16. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If it get's cold enough to freeze water...I think I'd still want winter tires.

17. sfprankster

sfprankster Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I live 1200' up in the Santa Cruz Mountains, just south and west of the SF Bay Area, and it rarely gets cold enough to freeze water here. The ocean is cold to swim in, but keeps the weather temperate all winter.
    CarWash.jpg

I washed/waxed mine in shorts, t shirt and flip flops this afternoon in Sunnyvale, near San Jose.

People were lined up waiting to get into the 6 bay car wash.

#37 sfprankster, Jan 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
    adizon likes this.
  18. adizon

adizon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    So last post I had was test fitting my spare STI BBS, which fit great and looked pretty good. Again the wheels are forged and about just under 16lbs. So tempting to want to go down this route. Yes acceleration would be better , as well as breaking compared to my 24lb. oem 17" wheels, but . . . . for 1/4 of the price I found a guy a Craigslist selling his 2015 BRZ wheels. That there is a screaming deal. So in the midst of making arrangements with the guy a co-worker of mine lent me his BRZ wheels with tires to see what these look like in person. Yes, there are lot's of internet photos, however most camera's don't have the dynamic range that our eyes see. I know you've all scene it but in person it looks so much better.

So to add to the BRZ/FRS wheels on a Prius clutter . . .
    [​IMG]

. . . and yes it needs to be lowered. Also looking to get some 5mm H&R drs spacers with extended lugs (if they make it for our cars) or source some spacers, & longer studs elsewhere, will test the 3mm ebay spacer specials 1st. Also spigot/hubcentering rings are also on the way. 56.1-54.1

#38 adizon, Jan 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
    Accordlayingkit and Starbrand like this.
  19. adizon

adizon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I recently ordered some amber CREE 7440 Turn Signal LED bulbs. Installed the camera right bulb, but decided to stop there so I could see the difference between the regular oem bulb and the LED bulb in the morning light. I love the clear look over the reflected amber.

[​IMG]

20. adizon

adizon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Last night I put in the other LED turn signal bulb.

They work great and the install was easy, but one thing I learned is if I had to do it over again I would just use the LED's that plug directly into the bulb socket for a cleaner install and use the flasher relay under the dash. (ie. Dynamic Diodes has a kit). With the CREE bulbs it comes with a resistor and uses it's own rubber mount into the housing. I had to zip tie the resistors, and just reinforced the connectors with 3m electrical tape. That may just be my OCD.

Here's what the CREE turn signals look like:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

done!
    [​IMG]

Here's the video, no hyperflash :)