1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Adjustable regen

Discussion in 'Prius v Technical Discussion' started by larswest, Mar 27, 2018.

1. larswest

larswest Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I wish that the Prius had adjustable regen perhaps with a stalk like the Volt. I hope that this will be added on the 2019 model year.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Your estimation of how long the development cycle for automobiles is, is too short.

Assuming you had written a request in Japanese and some Toyota engineer read it, I think it could be included by the 2022 model year.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    me too.

4. taxibuddy

taxibuddy Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It has adjustable regen. You 'adjust' it with the accelerator (less pedal=more regen) and brake pedals (more pedal=more regen). Are you looking for more regen torque when your foot is lifted off the accelerator?

I periodically drive a Tesla with excessive regen torque on accelerator pedal release. The first thing I do when I get in the car is turn that off. Other people seem to love it though and brag about one pedal driving. I notice they still use the brake pedal eventually so I'm not sure what the attraction is.

I prefer Toyota's system. Maybe I'm just old but I prefer my braking torque to come mostly from the brake pedal. Of note is that a common request among Prius owners is zero regen when the accelerator pedal is released which runs even further away from the Tesla model.

And sure, Toyota could make it a settable parameter for the car, but Toyotas are appliances for the masses. Toyota thinks they know best and I think they mostly get it right. Also keep in mind that Toyota got a bum rap on unintended acceleration in the past and I doubt they want cars out there that look the same but interpret the pedals radically differently. That seems like opening the door to another driver error-type lawsuit.

pilotgrrl likes this.
  5. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Isn't that what the brake pedal is for?