1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Adjusting Headlight Angle

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Technical Discussion' started by JayGen4, May 2, 2020.

1. JayGen4

JayGen4 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How should I go about doing this? I feel like mine point down a little too low, not allowing me enough visibility in front of me. It definitely could be better. I guess I have a few questions.

What is the easiest way to do this? Do dealers do this kind of thing without charging a ridiculous amount of money?

I understand lights should be adjusted by a professional and I'll be careful not to make them point too high but mine just feel a bit too low.

I can post a picture of my headlight on display sometime.Feel free to attach of one yours.

2. Harters

Harters Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    I also feel mine could do with coming up a little so will be interested in any replies.

When following another mid size car at normal distance my dipped beam cuts off just under top of bumper height. I know this varies depending on followed vehicle and will be different for say a 4x4.

My previous car, which had Xenon's beam height was be quite a bit higher at the same distance.

Now I have had my first MOT I may look at maybe trying 1/2 turn to bring them up and see how it goes. Just need to make sure I am turning the correct screw. I will make sure to mark the original position first.

Obviously I don't want to do anything which would cause any dazzling to oncoming drivers.

3. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    The 2016's supposedly had headlights that were pointed too high which led to complaints resulting in 2017+ being pointed lower.

Unless the aim is completely screwed up, I wouldn't touch it.

If you absolutely have to adjust it, look for what looks like screwheads on the back of the headlight housing. Those will allow you to make the adjustments.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If I remember right from the first time I poked around a Gen 4 in a showroom while waiting for the parts counter guys, I noticed they had actually labeled the headlight adjuster locations along the front edge of the engine compartment.

Took them four generations to think of that.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Repair Manual info:

Attached Files:

MrDa7doul and Harters like this.
  6. Sina Drums fan

Sina Drums fan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Mendel, you really came through for me with the specs from the manual. I get flashed every couple nights of driving in my 18 so I need to lower them a tad, Thanks.
    I have no more to add but feel compelled to comment on the instructions anyway. I had to read through 3 times to take it all in. Ok, so they label both a and b screws with an a in different diagrams, and they call for a white paper more than 6 feet by 13 feet and they suggest a driver of average weight 150 lbs instead of current driver's weight, but what really got me was the minutia of bouncing the suspension and checking the engine oil but then I saw no mention of topping off the washer fluid. I don't know who they wrote these instructions for. I cannot imagine a dealership going through all those steps. I think I will just park in front of a wall and turn the screw a bit, much the same as anyone would do I suspect.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The manual is pretty detached from reality sometimes, totally agree.