1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Adjusting My Expectations...

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by The Electric Me, Jan 10, 2011.

1. M8s

M8s Retired and Lovin' It

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    We had one of the original 1998 Siennas, an XLE. Roomy, comfortable and dead reliable, it was a great "car trip" car. For a van, it was relatively small, sleek and sporty-looking. That Sienna got 19 mpg in the city and 24 mpg on the highway and kept those mileage numbers for 10 years and 100,000 miles.

We wanted to buy a new one but the Sienna grew too fat over the years.

For us, the Prius v may be just the ticket. It's roomier, wider (I hope) and more modern than our G2 Prii (love the iPod station). And it gets twice the mileage that our Sienna got. What's not to love?

When and where can I drive one?

1 person likes this.
  2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In NY, 45 MPG and SULEV are requirement to qualify for single driver HOV lane access. Yea, Prius v will not qualify.

3. bpollard

bpollard Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    2 quick questions (need to make a decision this week to buy my father's '08 Cadillac SRX (18 MPG) or wait for this).
    Does the new v have the "upgraded" battery pack (I forget, the NiMH or Li-ION, whichever is better than thte current gen 3).
    Also, did they release any kind of pricing?

Your help is appreciated.

4. UGC

UGC Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Ditto. +1

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    They tested Prius with Lithium and the improvement in efficiency was very minor. To give us the best bang for the buck, they are sticking with the proven NiMH.

There was no pricing information released, so far.

6. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My main concern if I was driving the V is when I would have 3 passengers plus maybe some luggage or stuff in the back - how quickly could I get up to speed on the freeway then? It's already heavier because it's 1.7 sec slower to 60 (Toyota specs), and with a load will you have to keep your foot buried in the gas pedal to keep it going? I can't wait to see some road tests and opinions on it.

7. skilbovia

skilbovia Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hi:

I'm not Doug (lucky him!) but I just checked my 2010 Prius V (not v) and there is a tether strap connection for the middle seat meaning you could utilize the 2 bottom clips, one from the right and one from the left and the middle tether clip behind the middle seat to put your baby in the middle and your parents on both sides. You can then benefit from the extra room between the end of the seat and the door panel which, I noticed is concave. It'd be a tight fit but it might get you to dinner without too much discomfort. The proto Prius v pics don't show any tether clips, but they'll have to be there for the production units in the USA. Take your car seat down to your dealer and give it a try in the current Prius.

8. Aptos Driver

Aptos Driver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Or maybe they could go up to 2.5 liters like the ICE that the Ford Fusion hybrid already has (combined ICE/electric motor horsepower: 191). With the combined horsepower of the ICE and electric motor, the lighter Prius V would probably accelerate like a proverbial bat out of hell -- sort of like the way my '07 RAV4 with the 6-cylinder 3.5 liter 268 hp engine from the Toyota Camry/Avalon performs now. :thumb: But then, of course, it wouldn't get sufficient MPG for all the fanatical hypermiling Prius devotees. I'm betting that the new Prius V won't either. :cool:

9. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When Toyota eventually switches to direct injection and lithium ion with the 1.8 liter, it will help increase mpg's and performance. I still wish the V had a larger displacement ICE for more torque, which should help mpg. One of the beni's of the 1.8 vs the Gen II's 1.5 liter is the more relaxed rpms at cruising speed and higher mpg. It's not like they can't bore or stroke out the 1.8 to 2.0 or 2.2 liters so why not do it? My guess is they wanted to get the V out quickly at a lower cost. Let see how it actually performs in some test drives.

10. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The best selling vehicle in the US is the Ford F150, a truck. The camry was the best selling car, and not many are buying the hybrid version. The best selling in Japan is the Prius. My prediction is the v will be a miss like the hs250. Its bigger, but is it big enough or fast enough to differentiate itself? If it was the 40mpg would be fine, but the other specs do not look very exciting.

I would hope it would get better mileage than the Rav4. But how will it do against the ford c-max hybrid or c-max energi, vehicles. Pricing may be key to sales.
    2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid and C-Max Energi Plug-In Hybrid First Look - Motor Trend

I do hope the prius v does well, and the the prius c surpasses expectations.

11. Aptos Driver

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As one who's considering buying a hybrid sedan (not a Prius) later this year, I'm wondering why the Camry hybrid isn't selling well. I drove one and it seemed pretty nice. I especially appreciated the combined 187 hp of the 2.4 liter ICE and the electric motor when merging onto a local freeway. The car drove very smoothly and was quite comfortable. The main drawback would seem to be the limited trunk space. The other car I'm considering is the Ford Fusion hybrid, with a 2.5 liter ICE and 191 combined hp. I'd be replacing my wife's '00 Volvo S70 GLT (113,500 miles and counting) with either car. I see tons of Priuses around here -- they seem to be multiplying like rabbits -- but very few TCH's. I talked to one guy who had an '06 TCH. He was very happy with it; said he even got something like 40 mpg in town and about 35 mpg on the road. This sounds like a good to great car for the gas-economy-conscious driver who doesn't need to haul a lot of stuff (or whose household maybe has another car for that task) and is not completely fixated on squeezing the last mpg out of every tank of gas. So what gives? :confused:

12. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My personal experience: I initially though I was going to buy a TCH, but ended up with a Prius IV. I tested both and found I didn't like the transition of the ICE shutting down and starting up. It seemed abrupt or rough compared to the Prius. I initially though the Prius was going to be too small as I have to occasionally carry 2 or 3 passengers for my work. I found the rear seat legroom comparable to the TCH, so that, and the test drive sold me on it. PLUS, I save over $3,000 moving from the TCH to the Prius AND I get better mpg.:thumb::bounce:

13. Aptos Driver

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I admit, I have yet to drive a Prius. I plan to. I've been planning to rent a TCH for a weekend ($115, Friday P.M. to Monday A.M., at the local Toyota dealer); I would do the same for a Prius, especially if I was trying to decide between them. You can't rent Ford Fusion hybrids, no way, no how.

14. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    My brother has a 2008 and he likes it. He has a long commute on slow moving chicago highways. Back then the seats in the prius were not good enough, he wanted a trunk, and there was not much choice. My guess on the slow sales are the price and competition from the prius and ffh. Soon their will be a redesign an dealers may be discounting heavily. The sonata hybrid and lexus ct200 should be in show rooms soon. You have many more choices than he did back in 2008.

15. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't leave your cake out in the rain....

As I distanced myself from my initial reaction, my attitude about The Prius v, has really changed.

I think part of the problem with seeing it on a live feed, on a Youtube like video, is it's hard to get a real feel for it's size. I'll be interested in actually getting a real tangible look at it in the "tin".

I think it's an interesting product. And I give Toyota some real Kudos for offering it...

But I would say, I think there is some danger in offering Hybrids with the idea that the MPG's are the icing on the cake. Toyota is once again a victim of their own success...they set the psychological and tangible benchmark at a highly publicized 50mpg. Even though a combined 40 might be amazing for a vehicle the size of The Prius v, it's still going to get compared by the hallmark Toyota themselves created. And people might "say" the mileage is only the icing on the cake, they might fill out surveys marking size and cargo and ability to be a family vehicle as more "important" to them..but I think we can learn from Honda how important MPG's are to Hybrids. The Insight is simply not as refined a product as a Prius (IMO) but what really hurt the Insight was that Icing on The Cake...when the bullet hit the bone, Nicer more refined Prius with 50 mpg, beat smaller, less refined Insight in the lower 40's...

I guess what I'm saying is I don't think you can ever forget you are selling a hybrid. The reasons people site for purchasing a hybrid may be diverse, but at the core, the greatest initial personal advantage to ownership is the gas mileage...

Also tricky is the whole idea of "Canibalizing" the sales of other vehicles. For an automaker as large as Toyota? It just becomes more and more difficult. As unique a product as The Prius v is? It probably won't canibalize a lot of standard Prius purchases..but could it take sales from Toyota Sienna? Matrix?

When The Prius c comes out? Depending on details and price, would it not potentially canibalize some sales of The Prius? People who might stretch to purchase a Prius II, simply because they want a Hybrid and nothing much else exists- might abandon the idea if a smaller, cheaper, Hybrid exists that get's even better MPG's.

I'm not making statements here...I'm really asking a question. As Toyota, if you are commited to expanding the diversity of Hybrid and Electric offerings....at what point do you simply create the product and let the chips fall where they may?

I'm also interested in the Prius c...but part of me says, I should just buy a Prius now..because my fear is once Toyota offers an "Entry Level" Hybrid...that will bump Prius up a price class. Right now, a Prius II is the entry level hybrid from Toyota...but once that isn't true?

Anyway, I've hung around Prius Chat long enough to know that the reasons people site for buying a hybrid are diverse.

But they are all Hybrid buyers....and whether they site, utility, ecological conciousness, or MPG's as the most important aspect of making a Hybrid Purchase...I don't think they drive one off the lot unless they think they have purchased an significant advantage as far as avoiding the Gas Station.

Kudo's for Toyota for expanding...and Kudos for setting the benchmark at 50...but now unfortunately...Toyota's success has created the perhaps unrealistic expectation that every Hybrid with the label "Prius" is going to be closer to 50 mpg..than 40...

16. Prius Team

Prius Team Toyota Marketing USA

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Agreed. Most vehicles look better in person. I think this is one you really have to get into to form a full opinion.

Example: there is a 2nd cupholder hidden in the second console... the one on the right under the A/C vent is the 3rd in the front row. Tough to know that without being in it or seeing the pictures.

Not forgotten at all. We would never take our eyes off MPG for any Prius product.

Absolutely true. With a portfolio as broad as Toyota's, there aren't any white spaces to go with totally unique new buyers, so there is always cannibalization (as we say, better to cannibalize our own product than to have a competitor do it). The task is to minimize when possible, but you can only do so much.

Thanks. And that's the rub. The Prius is pretty well optimized for MPG in that class vehicle. That's why it has done so well. So we have created an expectation... among MPG-focused consumers like those on PC. Thus the initial disappointment from some.

Among consumers who prioritize other needs as much or more than MPG, though, 40 MPG is fantastic. And that helps explain why we think cannibalization will be minimal. Most Prius owners won't trade off the MPG for the cargo. Others who haven't yet bought Prius - due to it's size - will like the v though.

So just one more reminder, all, promote the v with your friends who have mocked Prius' size!

Doug Coleman
    Prius Product Manager
    Toyota Motor Sales, USA

3 people like this.
  17. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    40 MPG car that can replace SUV is a very interesting and insightful product. There are many people that got a SUV or mini-Van because Prius is a little too small for them.

40 MPG (cordless) is great considering the competition:

- Camry Hybrid (33 MPG - Midsize Sedan)
    - Jetta TDI Sportwagen (34 MPG - Small Wagon)
    - HS250h (35 MPG - Compact Sedan)
    - CR-Z (37 MPG - Two Seaters Hatchback)
    - Volt (37 MPG - Compact Hatchback)
    - Sonata Hybrid (38 MPG - Midsize Sedan)
    - Fusion Hybrid (39 MPG - Midsize Sedan)
    - Prius v (40 MPG - Midsize Wagon)
    - Insight (41 MPG - Compact Hatchback)
    - Civic Hybrid (41 MPG - Compact Sedan)
    - CT200h (42 MPG - Compact Hatchback)
    - Prius (50 MPG - Midsize Hatchback)

As you can see only the Prius and other compact cars have higher MPG than the Prius v.

I think Ford C-Max hybrid will be an interesting alternative. It will have a bigger more powerful engine and fuel efficiency may match that of the Prius v. We'll see when we get more information.

1 person likes this.
  18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The v has a 3 inch longer wheelbase and is 6 inches longer overall. Now we don't know how the extra length is distributed but it could be more legroom and of course cargo room depth.

It's also 2 inches wider than the standard Prius and looking at the hi-res pics of the rear compartment that Danny posted, it appears that the rear seat is wider (I just look at the centre position and gauge how wide it is compared to the outboard seating positions)

No. It's the same NiMH battery as the Prius but it has been repackaged to gain more cargo space. The NiMH has been very reliable so far so no reason to deviate at the moment (it allows them to concentrate on other aspects of the vehicle like repackaging the battery and inverter)

That's a good point. I did a test with a 2nd Gen Prius with 4 people on board but only to 60km/h (~38mph) and it took 10 secs, about the same it takes for the Prius to go to 60mph with just the driver. I think I'll be concerned about climbing a hill with half SOC and a full load.

I'm no engineer but is there a weight limit to a chassis?? Or is it all in the suspension? If there is a weight limit, maybe there wasn't any more room to fit the 2.4 HSD?

The Camry Hybrid is the best selling hybrid in Canada! An interesting note: Those cities that aren't sold on hybrids (i.e. they don't have a huge fleet of Prius taxis), but do have hybrid taxis are actually going for the Camry. Not sure why since I figured a taxi going to the airport would prefer the cargo space of the Prius.

It does have split folding seats that allow skis and snowboards to be loaded into the vehicle (and a way to use the seatback of the driver's side so as not to dirty the leather or cloth seats)

19. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If you're considering a TCH, you might want to rent a NAH. It's not as refined as the Prius or TCH, but does out accelerate the TCH and esp. FFH. See Consumer Reports - Fuel economy vs. performance.

Too bad the Federal hybrid tax credits all ended 12/31/10, taking the $2350 credit on the NAH, with it. Coupled w/incentives as high as $5K on leftover 2010 NAHs, made it pretty attractive. Now per San Francisco Oakland San Jose Area Nissan Altima Hybrid Offers -0.0% APR - $4,000 Cash Back - $279 Lease - Nissan USA, I see $4K in incentives on a 2011 NAH.

You also will dislike the limited trunk space of the NAH though... My mom's 07 didn't even have a rear pass-thru for skis or poles, unlike the TCH.

20. Aptos Driver

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've considered the NAH (and looked at a NA) and so far said nah to it. :mod: