1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Adjusting Parking Brake

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by DaddyLongLegs, Dec 29, 2006.

1. aaron00olsen

aaron00olsen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So can I just set the parking break 50 times and eventually it should get to where it should be if I feel like the brake is grabbing enough?

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My apologies: you found an old post of mine where I left out one critical piece of information. The automatic adjustment depends on the alternation of two actions: use of the parking brake, and use of the regular service brake. The first will cock the adjust lever over the next starwheel tooth (if the clearance is excessive), and the second action allows the lever to turn the wheel and take up the adjustment.

Just applying the parking brake repeatedly, without using the service brake in between, will not get you more than one click of adjustment no matter how many times you apply it.

When I described it in this post I did a better job.

-Chap

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My apologies: you found an old post of mine where I left out one critical piece of information. The automatic adjustment depends on the alternation of two actions: use of the parking brake, and use of the regular service brake. The first will cock the adjust lever over the next starwheel tooth (if the clearance is excessive), and the second action allows the lever to turn the wheel and take up the adjustment.

Just applying the parking brake repeatedly, without using the service brake in between, will not get you more than one click of adjustment no matter how many times you apply it.

When I described it in this post I did a better job.

-Chap