1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Admit it, you're rooting for higher gas prices right?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by burritos, Jul 13, 2006.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jul 13 2006, 08:55 PM) [snapback]285986[/snapback]</div>
    Ok. I apologize for being flippant. Just sometimes thestuff that goes on in the oil/car/environment drama just makes me crazy, and I admit, I go overboard. Thank goodness, I have absolutely no power in how oil prices will trend.

Though I still think that unnecessary trucks/suvs kill more americans than starvation from $4.00/gallon of gas ever could.

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jul 13 2006, 10:26 PM) [snapback]286004[/snapback]</div>
    not a problem. i realize many people here don't have too much to worry about in the money department, so that's not a factor in a few of the arguments i've seen here. i just like to point out my viewpoint of the situation every now and again. and yes, thank goodness! :lol:

3. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Some people should really get off their high horse...

The Prius is excessive if you're the only one driving it, perhaps burritos should talk his wife into the idea of letting him buy a motorcycle or scooter, since that's even BETTER for society, far less parts and manufacturing time/labor/oil spent on building a big 'ol Prius...

;)

Personally, the second we're out of this, and gas drops back below $2 (which I think it will, this is nothing but a replay of the late 70's early 80's IMO), I'll be right back in a brandy-new big 'ole supercrew F150 Lariat... Actually, I've been looking at one over the last few days, I know I can get it for a steal too... :ph34r:

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Jul 13 2006, 09:09 PM) [snapback]285991[/snapback]</div>
    They only have to wait a few more years until the gen 1 and gen 2 owners trade up to the 2009. Then there will be used Prii for them to purchase.

5. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Jul 13 2006, 09:57 PM) [snapback]286020[/snapback]</div>
    Out of what?

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You're not going to see $2 gas again. (Okay $2.90s maybe for a very short period. Perhaps....last October, early November) At least not here in California. Don't know what Florida prices are.

It will hit $4.xx in 2007 and you'll be nostalgic for $3.19 a gallon.

The goal is $5.xx. It will be there by 2008-2010.

Hmm...seems I've said that before. Oh....and didn't gas hit $3+ last year, just like I said? And isn't it still $3+ this year?

7. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jul 13 2006, 11:30 PM) [snapback]286044[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, and we heard this sort of thing back in the late 70's early 80's too... SAME exact arguments too, running out of oil, geopolitical forces, etc., etc., etc....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jul 13 2006, 11:11 PM) [snapback]286028[/snapback]</div>
    Your Prius, into either a motorcycle or scooter.... :D

8. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Perhaps you never finished the story.

In the end...wolves *did* eat the sheep.

9. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jul 13 2006, 11:38 PM) [snapback]286049[/snapback]</div>
    ...and that is a similar projection of the irrational FEAR driving up oil prices every day now it seems... :ph34r:

oh yeah, IMO, of course...

10. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think that if prices keep going up the Prius and Camry, and Honda's will do well. In the year since I got mine the percentage has increased a great deal around here. I see alot of SUV drivers looking at my car, you know they are thinking about it.

Galaxee is right in being concerned for those who don't have a choice for getting a newer vehicle. Or those like our company who must use 8+ passenger and wheel chair vans.

I can't be happy for something that is going to hurt people already in a bad spot. My neighbor up the hill with 2 F350's, Hummer, and various non-efficient vehicles is not going to change his ways when gas goes up because "he can afford gas".

User taxes/penalties and tax breaks for those who must use more fuel will be needed if prices rise over $4. Should be interesting to see how a rationing system works these days.

11. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What can the self-employed pickup truck owners do? Try their best
    to hypermile the damned things, meaning GET OFF my nice person and stop
    blasting around town like drunk fratboys. That would save them a
    bunch right then and there, I'll bet. Self-employed doesn't have to
    mean self-important.
    _H*

12. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jul 13 2006, 06:55 PM) [snapback]285986[/snapback]</div>

I hear you galaxee.

Not only is this hurting at home (wife undergoing brain cancer treatments at age 35!), 2 kids (ages 6 and 3), more expensive products due to increased transportation and materials cost...it just goes on and on.

To make things even worse, it has made my job even more stressful. I run an Office Supply company...and in the last 6 months ALL of the major manufacturers have raised prices at least 3 times (a lot of it due to increased fuel costs)! A case of copy paper that cost me $18 in December now costs $23! So I am constantly having to increase my customers' prices, which has lead to the many loyal customers shopping around (they have to do what it takes to maintain their budgets too). We have even instituted Fuel surcharges like UPS and FEDX!

Yes, somewhere inside I do revel in the fact that others with "normal" cars are suffering more...but ultimately when I look in the mirror, my family is suffering too and I just do not know what the future will hold for us if the gas prices continue to rise!

13. jimmyhua

jimmyhua New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Jul 14 2006, 12:57 PM) [snapback]286020[/snapback]</div>
    You are so wrong about this, it isn't even funny. Gas prices will never go back to $2 a gallon. period.

Having said that. I'd HATE to see gas prices go up. Hopefully they stabilize at some point and stay there, say around $3/gallon? I hope?

What I'd rather see is, gas prices going down, and staying down. Governments having a LONG view of the future, and legislating alternative fuel cars, like the electric car and whatnot.

Jimmy

14. Jack Straw

Jack Straw New Member

15. unruhly

unruhly New Member

Have you noticed that computers don't depreciate in value the instant you walk out of the store like they used to? Have you noticed that Wally World is not advertising "Falling Prices" anymore?
    The economy is in a period of correcting itself from overindulgence on undervaluation. We currently don't pay enough for fuel because the market conditions won't allow it and our politicians use it as a bargaining tool. As time progresses, and the market swings back to a more normal balance on cost of goods, gas prices will continue to rise. It is inevitable.

From this understanding and foresight, I decided to purchase the Prius. So now, from this first hand experience, I can relate to the fact that higher prices are going to get people to change. Change is good. And, the environent needs us to change. Therefore, and for that reason only, I do root for higher fuel prices even though it will cause me grief in the short term.

16. kingofgix

kingofgix New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Jul 13 2006, 10:57 PM) [snapback]286020[/snapback]</div>
    Well, you are entitled to your opinion of course, but that doesn't make it valid.

The current situation resembles the late '70's like black resembles white and up resembles down. The late '70's situation was an intentional (on the part of oil exporting countries) restriction of supply which led to higher prices. The current situation is an increase in demand which is being led by the two most populous countries in the world finally finding a use for massive quantities of fossil fuel via their burgeoning economies. These are completely different situations. In the '70's it was intentional and temporary manipulation. Now it is actual and non-temporary increase in demand.

So buy that F150 for a steal. You will be happy to let someone steal it from you in couple of years.

17. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The closer the price of gas gets to the true cost of using gas, the better. All sorts of alternatives are actually better for us and cheaper in the long run.

18. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mssmith95 @ Jul 14 2006, 01:55 AM) [snapback]286122[/snapback]</div>
    I agree with that. We should have had moderately higher fuel prices for the last ten years, to avert the kind of shock that is happening now and will continue to happen. Unfortunately our elected officials (and it's partly because they are elected) don't know how to do anything other than to drive into the brick wall head-on, while denying the need for an energy/environmental policy.

I'm okay with today's prices, although it is unfortunately painful for some people with legitimate struggles (not too worried about the Lexus driver, even if they complain as loudly as the rest). It's the prices next year and the year after that I'm worried about. I didn't think $3.18/gallon would be a cheap price in Chicago by this time.

A good part of the high oil prices now is due to fear: Israeli conflict could drag in oil-producing middle-east countries, but hasn't at this time, fear of terrorism or hurricanes or worsening situation in Nigeria. If none of these fears materialize, oil could moderate for awhile. But it's also partly due to leveling supply of oil - we can't globally produce more than we are right now, and it's very likely global production will decline, and there's no fix for that. That's what will really raise the price of oil in the future, and that's why I bought the Prius when I had the opportunity.

19. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Squid, you are right, the 70's and now are very much the same. In the 70's, US Domestic Crude Oil production peaked, meaning production has declined ever since. We solved the problem by importing oil from other countries.

Now, similarly, Global Crude Oil production is peaking. The solution to the problem is to import oil from other planets...

The geopolitical tensions only matter BECAUSE the supply is tight, they don't MAKE the supply tight. If the supply was plentiful, then nobody would care about the middle east.

In the Gulf of Mexico, oil production is still down 12% since Katrina. Overall, 30% of the annual production from the Gulf is gone since Katrina. And another Hurrincane is likely any day now...

http://www.mms.gov/ooc/press/2006/press0621.htm

Saudi's oil fields are in decline:

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/08B...ACB9B0F8894.htm

Russia is suffering as well:

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2006/1/26/9229/79300

Note the Reference from BP! These are not extremist Tree-hugger blogs, these are reliable data sources.

Squid, we need some "super tanker" space shuttles. And, of course, another planet earth nearby that we can pump the oil from...

Nate

20. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Jul 14 2006, 11:52 AM) [snapback]286223[/snapback]</div>
    Controlling the supply has everything to do with controlling the price. That's why we have OPEC.