1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Admit it, you're rooting for higher gas prices right?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by burritos, Jul 13, 2006.

1. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Never assume malice where incompetence is more likely. What's more likely, the oil industry has managed to get a tight fix on the supply, or that demand is outpacing supply?

Yes, most Chinese citizens do not own motorized vehicles. But they want them! And, as soon as they can afford them, they will buy them. And they are definitely in an economic boom that is very different from the early 80's.

Nate

2. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Jul 14 2006, 05:23 PM) [snapback]286436[/snapback]</div>
    You only need to have 20% of china to own cars and that would approximately the population of all of the US.

3. Smooth Operator

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jul 14 2006, 11:35 AM) [snapback]286320[/snapback]</div>
    I think we have established that I don't know your situation. I don't think we have established that I assumed you were asking for sympathy.

I guess I made the mistake of thinking you believed you were living in poverty when you said,,

I guess it is possible to have an empty fridge, empty gas tank and lots of unpaid bills without being in poverty. In fact, come to think of it, even these days, when I plan badly I have that combination. :)

4. Smooth Operator

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mssmith95 @ Jul 14 2006, 12:25 PM) [snapback]286348[/snapback]</div>
    I don't recall providing a "suffering" story. I thought I provide an "investing" story.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mssmith95 @ Jul 14 2006, 12:25 PM) [snapback]286348[/snapback]</div>
    I would not benefit directly from an increase in fuel prices, but I think it would be healthy for all of us to recognize the actual cost of petroleum fuels. Sometimes we need to suffer a bit to develop the understanding that we need to change our lifestyles for the good of all people, including those in other countries who will also be adversely impacted by things like global warming.

I suspect that few people who bought a Prius did so in order to "benefit directly" from the purchase. I suspect they recognized that they could buy a less expensive, similar car that did not provide the environmental benefit of the Prius. Let's face it, few of us believed that buying a Prius would likely provide us individually with a direct benefit. We paid extra money to do what we perceived to be "the right thing", not to receive a "direct benefit".

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Smooth Operator @ Jul 14 2006, 10:58 PM) [snapback]286545[/snapback]</div>
    i'll dismiss the sympathy thing- i just don't take that very well. too proud.

what i described is a temporary thing, by acutely aware i mean in the last few weeks and not a common situation. anyone put through these circumstances would be a little thrown off course for a while.

6. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I wouldn't say I'm "rooting" for higher gasoline prices exactly. I took delivery just about at the peak price of gasoline last September, and while I relished in the accolades about how "smart" I was for buying just the right car at just the right time, I breathed a sigh of relief as the prices slowly retreated through autumn.

Simply put, I'd honestly have to say that I'm personally just not as overly concerned about the rising pump price of gasoline this time around. I'm still not paying anywhere near what I was paying to feed the pickup truck as a commuter.

Beyond myself, I do recognize that higher gasoline prices are a double edged sword. On one hand I do appreciate the positive pressure it puts on people to make better conservation decisions about buying more fuel efficient vehicles, taking fewer unnecessary trips, etc. At the same time, I also recognize that it is going to put a serious strain on some people's finances. I'm 47 and I've certainly been through some serious financial strains myself over the years and have managed to get through them and come out the other side. It's not fun, but it does eventually happen to most people sooner or later.

7. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I say, let 'em crash!

Wait. That's a quote from AIRPLANE! and has nothing to do with this.

I lived in the '70s, and can recall the gas prices going up, and frankly, they have been rising ever since. Back then, my parents got rid of their gas hog, a Jeep Grand Waggoner, and got a more responsible car.

This time around, it's not just about the money, but it's about the planet. Al Gore said it himself. It's in the best interests of the big oil companies to figure out a way to make the oil supply last longer...And one way, is to raise prices, which, will over some time, make a lot of people dump their HUMMERS and move towards more gas sensible vehicles.

Seems the only thing that makes people consider driving a Hybrid is high gas prices. Just yesterday, while I was filling up my HyCam, I had three people ask me about it, does it drive like a 'real car' and commenting on how nice it looked. They were surprised you did not have to plug it in. They were shocked at the mileage. And when I was finished paying my $14, to fill up, and they were still zooming past $30, they were thinking.

8. ribbs

ribbs New Member

I've been saying for many years that if I were president I would tax gasoline to at least $10 per gallon. I would use the revenue generated to build a decent public transportation system nationwide and to fund alternative energy solutions. Any vehicle that is necessary for transporting goods or for public needs (trucks, buses, police cars, etc.) would only pay $2 per gallon. Obviously this would need to be phased in to give public transportation time to gear up and people time to adjust. We could begin to reverse the damage we have wrought upon our atmosphere, substantially reduce the horrific traffic jams clogging our roads, and wean ourselves off the teat of foreign oil, all in one fell swoop. Simple, huh?

I would also wipe out racism in one generation by outlawing marriage between people of the same race (our next generation would all be a lovely honey-beige) and take care of the drug war by legalizing all recreational drugs and taxing the bejesus out of them (like we do with tobacco). I would use the revenues from that windfall to finance a much more far-reaching anti-drug education campaign and to properly treat addicts as people with an illness, instead of throwing them in prison with rapists and murderers.

Anybody wanna vote for me?

;)

9. wb9tyj

wb9tyj 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    you know...$10/us gal wouldnt phase the rich in this country...ive already heard them say...$5? $10? $15?
    per gallon...who cares "we can afford that" and i see they drive H3s SUVs etc...that wont stop the rich elitists in this country...what it will do is condemn the middle class and poor to an enslavement to the rich. i keep hearing the comparison to the 70s...well, people i lived through that...the fallacy with the comparison of, "well gas would have to be $89/bl,adjusted for inflation..." hovever, your paycheck hasnt adjusted for inflation over the years...you ,the working class have been falling further and further behind all this time...as gas increases...the choice ultimately becomes...food or gas today...which one will you choose...

10. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Smooth Operator @ Jul 14 2006, 08:14 PM) [snapback]286551[/snapback]</div>
    Hear hear or here here. My main purpose for purchasing a Prius was to support new technology which would eventually lead us away from dependence on oil. Not everyone can afford a new car so it is up to those who are fortunate enough to lead the way. I feel it is our patriotic duty.

11. Smooth Operator

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wb9tyj @ Jul 15 2006, 05:01 AM) [snapback]286660[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not sure I agree with that for a couple of reasons. First, the rich elite is just that because there are few of them. Sure, they may well live profligate lifestyles, but the impact of that on the environment would be negligable because of the small number.

In terms of the choice between food and gas... I don't see that as being a problem in Europe, Japan and other jurisdictions that have high gas prices. If anything, it seems to me that those countries have fewer problems with poverty and disparities of wealth than does the US.

12. nwprius

nwprius Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Ribbs, I would definitely vote for you. Yours has been my, very vocal, position for many years on both the fuel and the race issues. Thank you for so succinctly stating it.

13. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ribbs @ Jul 15 2006, 05:42 AM) [snapback]286649[/snapback]</div>
    Umm. No.

14. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Smooth Operator @ Jul 15 2006, 12:08 PM) [snapback]286835[/snapback]</div>
    In Europe and Japan it is much easier to use mass transit, cities are compact..not the urban sprawl we have here. People walk alot in Europe too. When was the last time a bunch of teens wanted to walk 1.5 miles to the mall? Take a bus? Geek! Lifestyle changes are due folks!

15. Smooth Operator

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Salsawonder @ Jul 15 2006, 04:51 PM) [snapback]286936[/snapback]</div>
    Exactly. When the economics of transportation change to encourage more responsible use of fuels, people don't starve. They use fuels more efficiently.

16. ribbs

ribbs New Member

Okay I've got one vote for me and one against - I'm at 50% in the polls! Better than W's percentage when he won in 2000!

17. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AnOldHouse @ Jul 15 2006, 12:27 AM) [snapback]286576[/snapback]</div>
    Same here. I'm not anxious to see higher gas prices, but everytime it goes up I feel more sure I made the right decision with the Prius! B)
    BTW, I paid $3.12 for regular on Saturday at a Shell here in Palm Beach County! :eek:

18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ Jul 14 2006, 10:28 PM) [snapback]286598[/snapback]</div>

Tell me about it. I cringe every time I see my dad fill up his 02 Camry. If it was an empty tank, it'd cost $71.40 (70 litre tank - 10 litre reserve = 60 litres * $1.19/litre = $71.40).

I'm filling up at under $40 and going twice as far. Heck, the Camry is only a FOUR cylinder :blink:

19. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jul 17 2006, 10:32 PM) [snapback]287930[/snapback]</div>
    Thus why I love my HyCam.