1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Advanced 12V battery testing?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by spycake, Jul 12, 2016.

1. spycake

spycake Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just bought a used Prius, and took it to my mechanic for an oil change and standard inspection. They told me "the 12V starting battery fails a load test under 7V@150A" and recommended replacement. But the seller had mentioned he had the battery replaced not long ago, and indeed the service records indicate it was replaced only 2.5 years ago. So I ran the maintenance mode check described in this thread:

Entering Maintenance Mode (aka 12V Battery Check) without Switching Headlights ON/OFF | PriusChat

And I got normal values, 12.6 initial value and 11.3 after I turn the headlights on, tested after the car had been off for awhile.

Is there something else I should do to test the battery? I don't really have any special tools for further testing. Should I just buy a replacement and plan to change it before winter regardless?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Solar BA5 is a prosumer level digital load tester worth considering, if you want to invest around $60. At least start with a digital multimeter; something around $20~30 will do, and has multiple uses around the house.

Then there's smart chargers..., it's a slippery slope, lol.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The Prius doesn't put much load on the battery. I would buy a volt meter and test it cold, under the hood. If it's 12.4 or better and you aren't having problems, leave well enough alone.

Did you take it to a Toyota dealer? is it a Toyota battery? Might be under warranty.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Charge the battery and let it play out. I had a similar scenario when testing my Prius battery at Autozone, it tested bad. This was 3 years ago and it's still going strong in my car, always above 12.6v.

I think those load testers put too much of a load on the small battery. The prius battery doesn't do much, just starts the computers.

5. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Just my thought; the 150 Amp test is invalid for the Prius. The Prius battery never cranks an engine. It boots up computers and runs some accessories like fans and lights in ACC mode. It could be very important for braking too, I think.

I would not put any credence in that test. And I would be a little peeved it was performed in the first place.

Edit: I see "the dog" just beat me to it.