1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Advanced model telematics

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Arion Chatziioannou, Jan 6, 2022.

1. Arion Chatziioannou

Arion Chatziioannou New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hi everyone,

Recently, I purchased a used 2012 PIP (Advanced), and enjoy it very much. Going through the manuals, I tried to download Entune to see if I can get the telematics to work.

Toyota though has removed Entune from the Appstore, and directed me to their new Toyota app. Since the 3G network is still working until October 2022, I thought I could at least get a taste for this feature (Toyota only charges $8 per month), so I enrolled and created an account.

It seems though that with the new Toyota app, I do not get any telematics on this car. "Remote Connect" is still showing a pending activation after more than a week, despite repeated calls to Toyota. Their customer service representatives are more familiar with the newer >2021 cars, so I am reaching out here:

Does anyone here use this feature on this car? What telematics (if any) are currently available with this 2012 PIP (Advanced)?

Thank you.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    pretty much defunct, but @john1701a might know

3. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    There's been a lot of discussion concerning Entune update and the App, and it's not good to date.
    Here is some more info The end of 3G cellular | PriusChat
    Although the discussion is referencing the Prime, there is also info in the thread you should be aware of.

4. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    The good news is that the Prius uses 4G LTE for the telematics. The down side is that Toyota is very slowly updating their app to work with the Entune software in the car.

I've used it recently to warm the car before going for a ride on a 35 degree morning. It worked for me.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is that true of the pip?

6. Arion Chatziioannou

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The 2012 PIP (Advanced) has a 3G modem, expected to sundown on October 2022 (in 10 months).

In principle, this car can use the current 3G modem to communicate with Toyota, and owners can use the Entune software to check on the status of the car (charging/remote cooling).

Entune though is no longer available at the app store, and owners are directed to use the new Toyota app. I downloaded this app but have been unable to communicate with the car.

So my question is: Is anyone currently successfully using Entune (or the Toyota) app to check charge status etc?

Thank you.

7. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    As my post above says... In a 2017 Prius Prime Advanced I have been using the Toyota app to remote heat/cool the car and to check on charging state. Doing much more than that, I get frequent "failure to connect to server" messages.

Also in that post, I should have specified that the 2017 Prius Prime Advanced has a 4g LTE cellular modem for telematics. I was able to use the Toyota app to do a few other things, like decode the VIN to display all the features of the car.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    unfortunately, o/p has a 2012 pip

9. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I recall looking at his profile when I first posted, and it registered as being a 2021 prime. I decided that the "2012 pip (advanced)" was probably a typo. I was not in the market for the 2012 plug in , so was not aware that they used the "advanced" trim level back then too.

Learn something new (and useless) every day. :)

bisco likes this.
  10. Arion Chatziioannou

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yes, sorry for the confusion. The car is a 2012 PIP advanced. Not a 2017 or 2021 (I wish)

11. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If an owner already has entune and hasn't upgraded to the app. entune still probably still works as well or as badly as it always has. Entune has never gotten rave reviews, al least here, anyways...
    I never bothered with the subscription services offered, but I have seen changes in third party apps too, after updates to the newer versions that didn't come from the phones native updates. And that's on me for not understanding exactly how that process works until I got the issues associated with the newer versions of the apps that were coded for android 13 on my android pie phone.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the fact that ohn1701 never responded speaks volumes

13. Arion Chatziioannou

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thank you, indeed it was my understanding that if you already have an Entune subscription, it should continue to work. But I wanted to confirm this with someone who actually has this currently.

Anyway, I think that upgrading the head unit, to a modern style with car play/Android auto makes more sense. The two losses will be (a) the HUD of the navigation system and (b) some customization of headlight auto on sensitivity, door locks etc. These can also be customized via the TIS software.

14. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Bis, from my understanding I believe John now has two Primes for him and the misses. I've already forgotten more about the PiP than I care to think about, even after reviewing some of my older PiP posts.

I've noticed John is not posting here nearly as much as he used to, and if he's anything like me, he's not posting to threads where the subjects and/or discussion is of any interest.

Ya know? being a favorite target for the army of knowitalls here, ain't the most fun under the sun,