1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Adventures in getting a "full size" spare tire.............................

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Mike500, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    When I drove over 30k mles a year, I never had anything but a full size spare.

I decided that I want the same for my Prius"v," because I travel 4-5 times a year on trips ovf 400-500 miles from home every year. The donut is just not a convenient or viable opton for these trips.

I acquired an OEM 16 inch wheel off of eBay for $155 delivered, and it's on the way.

The cheapest mounted tire is about $100, and a good Michelin Defender tire is $50 more.

I decided to go with the Michelin Defender. This way, when it's time to repace the OEM Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires, I can just have the tire dealer transfer the TPMS to the spare with the Michelin Defender, purchase three more Michelin Defenders, and have them put a valve in the wheel with the best of the OEM tires for the full size spare.

Comments please.

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Where are you going to store the spare on the long trips?

3. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I have a "v." It comes with a cargo area cover. I'd just put it into a large black trash bag and surround it with cargo and/or luggage.

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ahh. I assumed you would have the cargo are full. Good choice. :)

Mike500 likes this.
  5. n0na

n0na Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Don't forget that you'll need to do a five-tire rotation after the OEM tires wear out and you buy 4 new Michelin Defenders to go with your new spare. Otherwise, you'll probably never put any mileage on the spare and you'll have to replace it based on age (typically 7 years) without getting any real use out of it. It'd be a good idea to buy a TPMS valve stem for the spare if you plan to make it a part of your tire rotation.

I, too, was not happy with the temporary spare in my Prius v. But I've only had to use a spare tire in an emergency on one or two occasions in 50 years of driving, and that was decades ago. Today's tires are better than those of yesteryear and it's extremely rare that anyone would ever need to put on the spare tire. So, I'm not sure that buying a full sized spare makes economic sense. I carry a cell phone and my AAA card, so any flat tire I have will become someone else's problem to repair or replace. I understand that some new cars are being sold without any spare tire at all. It's a way for the manufacturers to cut costs by eliminating something that virtually no one would ever need. Afterall, help is just a cell call away.

6. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    No,

I won't be doing a five tire rotation. When I replace the OEM tires, the best one will become the spare that will not be within the rotation mix. It will have it's TPMS transferred to the spare with the Defender tire. That way, I need only to buy three Defenders and NO additional TPMS.

If there are rebates for four tires, I might consider buying four more when it comes to replace a tire.

I've hand to change tires in the remote Arizona desert 3 AM in the morning, long before the days of cell phones. If there were cell phones, there would not have been service or anyone on the other end to answer it, envn if they were close to my position. It took me 15 minutes to do it, and I was on my way across the U.S.A.

I would not have been able to continue my trip across to the East Coast using the temporary donut spare. Moreover, they would not lokely to have had a matching tire locally.

I't like the current hurricane. The eleventh hour is not the optimum time to buy a generator, flashlights, spare food or gasoline.

7. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sounds like a good plan as long as Michelin still has defenders available next time you buy tires. Worst case you will still have an unused Defender as a spare, so no biggie.

8. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Small tire worked fine while I drove it for several days at freeway speeds while the dealership was air freighting a new Toyo tire. I had to use mine the first week and changed it in 10 minutes. I would not want to permanently lose the trunk space.

9. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Absolutely right. I won't need to spend closed to a hundred dollars on a TPMS sensor, and I won't need to have it programmed at the dealer for a "large less than nominal fee."

10. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Got my wheel, today. And, it is in absolutely wonderful condition. The guy even shipped it in a box designed especially for wheels and insured it.

It probably has less than 500 or so miles on it. There was only a very light coating of brake dust. My own wheels with 3,900 miles on them were much dirtier.

There are others on eBay asking $350 plus shipping for what I paid al little over $150 for.

11. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Will a 16" wheel spare (stock '12 v wheel) fit in the spare tire well?

I have a doughnut spare but, having just completed a 1000 mile road trip and watched several tires shred in front of me, I think I'd rather pay the MPG penalty and be a little safer in a situation where my TPMS triggers and I need to switch to a fully inflated tire that will allow me 70MPH to stay with the rest of the traffic.

#11 mikefocke, Mar 4, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I would just bite the bullet and try it, pull off one of your regular tires and see how it goes. Even just with the scissor jack, and that'd make a good exercise, make sure everything's working. I'd suspect it'd be a tight fit and/or the hatch floor will end up riding a bit high.

13. ems2158

ems2158 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I am considering putting on a set of run flat Bridgestone Driveguard tires this summer. They don't cost much more than non-run flat tires. The reviews are pretty good and they would give me enough margin to get the car off the road to some place safe where I could get it repaired if needed. They are not low rolling resistance but I'm not concerned about a little fuel mileage loss.

I think it's a better option than trying to change a tire on an interstate or some other dangerous location.

14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's not that bad. I wouldn't lumber myself with run-flats.