1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Advice for a long commute

Discussion in 'Prime Fuel Economy & EV Range' started by Port Latour, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Port Latour

Port Latour Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    We just bought a 2017 Prius Prime (Premium) this week, and we're trying to figure out the best mode/modes for my long commute. I drive 70 miles each way to work. The morning commute is generally more downhill than the return drive. The roads are two-lane secondary highways in southern New Hampshire and northern Massachusetts. Speeds fluctuate mostly 35 and 55 with a short stint at the end on an expressway. I do not have an outlet to plug into once I am at work, so the return trip is without a new charge. What is the best combination among all the modes for me to use?

BTW, our other car is a 2009 Prius, so we're not new to the Prius thing. The 2009 gets, on average, 52 MPG. I have driven that car daily since I bought it. It has180K on it and has been the most reliable car I've ever owned.

priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  2. priuscatprimeguy

priuscatprimeguy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Port Latour likes this.
  3. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    EV on the 35mph sections
    EV on downhill sections

Gas on the rest

Make sure you don't come home with any charge remaining and standard hypermiling techniques apply

Port Latour and priuscatprimeguy like this.
  4. Port Latour

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    That's great! Thank you! I'll see if I can make that work.

5. Port Latour

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Thank you! So do I drive in Eco mode (versus the Normal or Power)? I think the combo might matter?

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Eco mode alters the A/C to use less power. I can't cope in afternoons in summer with less A/C in MS, NH may be better.
    other than that, it is just a user interface setting. it make fine changes easier at low speeds.

7. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Everything but this part is true. This is NOT true in Ev for sure, and of dubious value in Hv. I find the Prime is a lot harder to hypermile than my 2004 was mostly because the car is doing a lot of it all by itself. That also makes it a lot easier to get great mileage in the Prime, and it's a lot harder for someone to drive in inefficiently.

8. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Harder to hypermile ?

EVs are the easiest cars to hypermile
    Climate off, Coast to stops, gentle accel, low speeds will do it.

9. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Sound's good, but it's very ineffective.

I've been driving the same route to work in my Prime since I got it, sometimes driving aggressively, sometimes driving in extreme hypermiling super-smooth mode, and the reported miles/kWh doesn't vary by more than 4%. On my 2004, the same approach on the same route could vary MPG by 25%.

Mark57 and priuscatprimeguy like this.
  10. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    What EV range are you getting

11. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    On that route (which includes a 700 foot vertical climb and decent), about 32 miles with the A/C on.

12. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In general, what I found most comfortable and economical was to save as much EV as I could on the trip home for two reasons. 1. It was usually cold in the morning so driving in HV allows me to use heat without wasting battery. Commuting home, I don't usually need heat. 2. There's usually a lot more traffic when driving home so I was able to double my EV range going home once although at a miserable 3 mph.

I adjust for this in summer when AC needs to be used in the afternoon drive home where AC wastes battery so I want to use up EV in the morning when I don't need it.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  13. joachimz

joachimz Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I have a now 52 mile one way commute, I profiled it and posted my driving style here: #1
    this was when i was charging at work, with the $100 Chargepoint card, which is now expired.
    Currently I only charge overnight at home, interesting enough, my displayed EV range has continued to improve, last week 45.1, posted a pic in another thread. My driving style now differs, basically no more EV on the fwy other than downhill or flat section after downhill.
    I need to collect some more datapoint, but for the month of August my miles/kWh shows 8.4.

Key is, there is no "1 size fits all", you'll have to try multiple techniques for yourself and choose what works best for you

Mark57 and priuscatprimeguy like this.