1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Advice for buying a PIP?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by waprius, Jun 8, 2012.

1. waprius

waprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Great battery discussion! I'm learning lots. Still waiting for my PiP to be received off the ship and sent down to me from Seattle. Maybe by the end of this week...

2. wheezyglider

wheezyglider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yep, I've seen it (going down Moeser Lane in El Cerrito if you know it, long & steep with noooo stops). And the owner's manual says as much on page 39. Plus, supposedly it will automatically switch back to EV mode if you restore enough EV range. (If it had automatically switched out of EV to HV due to low battery.) I didn't pay attention to that part on my test.

3. pip2012

pip2012 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Reference for the one big battery statement? I (like another poster) was led to believe there are 3 Li-On plus 1 Lead Acid battery. This was what I was told when I had the 6 week trial in 2010 and what I was told when I ordered my 2012 (which I received in early April).

4. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Maybe one of the senior forum members could help me here. There have been lots of discussions in this forum about this, but I cannot get the search tool to find them right now. :) The 2010 prototype definitely had separate HV and EV batteries. One of the big gripes from users was that regeneration could not recharge the EV battery, and this issue was addressed by making it one battery.

5. waprius

waprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I finally got my PiP. Had to wait a few more days to get it off the ship. Sea Pearl Green Advanced Package. The new car fumes are quite strong inside!

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats waprius, enjoy! there is a lot of misinformation here as far as the battery is concerned, charles is right. one hybrid battery (li-on) and one 12v battery. everything you see on your screen is just a computer repreesentation of what is happening. they changed it from the prototype to the production model. john1701 has all the info.

7. Chris_SoCal

Chris_SoCal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hi All, I just got home with the PIP on late Friday night after purchase near San Diego California. Drove it a little bit yesterday and drove it @150 miles today across Riverside county to Orange county down to San Diego County and back over the 76 freeway and back up the 15 to home. Basically a bg loop My EV was completely depleted after my trip was about 20 miles on and near the end I was able to regenerate 3.6 miles EV @ 1250 Watts of 4.4KW by finessing the regen braking. This was while I was varying the throttle a lot (breaking in) and still managed 49 mpg at the end. The last leg coming home off of the freeway was almost entirely EV.

So far very happy with this vehicle, a pleasure to drive and not a dog by any means...

8. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The lead acid battery is just a very small 12 Volt battery. The Li-On battery is as I said, many cells assembled into a single unit. It depends how you define "battery", I suppose. But it's divided into quarters, which rotate duty as the HV battery, presumably to provide some degree of wear leveling.

I think the theory is that the car needs to function as an ordinary Prius, but it also needs to be able to output higher current for EV mode than HV mode. I know from experience that the battery behaves much differently in HV and EV modes.

9. wiggleman

wiggleman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I bought that premium outer protection for something like $400, since I don't have a garage. Don't bother with this add-on that the dealer is sure to offer to you. I spoke to a detailer afterwards - he thought that perk is a waste of money, it does not add my more protection than a good wax job does.