1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Advice for getting Prius V back on the road after sitting several years

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by uskallen, Oct 4, 2022.

1. uskallen

uskallen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm trying to get a 2012 Prius V back on the road after it has sat for a little over three years without being driven so I can sell it. I'm about to replace the HV battery as it has gone bad and I've already replaced the 12V battery.

I know the tires are slightly dry rotted after being stored outdoors while it sat.

My main concern is the condition of the engine oil, transmission fluid and any other fluids/filters/maintenance items that may break down in their effectiveness to do their job due to the passage of time. I'm not sure when the car was last serviced, but the owner was always diligent about maintenance.

I'm not familiar with the maintenance items/intervals on this vehicle, but I need to drive it about 75 miles immediately after getting the HV battery replaced and I'm debating how much of the above I want to address before that drive vs. after I get the vehicle to its destination.

Does anyone have any experience with a similar situation or have any advice? I'm happy to answer any questions.

Thanks in advance for all advice.

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Mileage is an important factor but we will assume it is high living in Houston. Regardless, I would have the oil and filter changed first just because it could have water in it from condensate. I would keep the speed down with dry rotted tires, ideally off the freeway. Then the coolant and tires within the next few weeks. Transaxle fluid is optional.

3. uskallen

uskallen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Only 54K miles. Thank you for your advice.