1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Advice needed: Engine shut off while driving and towed, possibly a 2015 recall issue.

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PriusvGW, Jan 14, 2017.

1. PriusvGW

PriusvGW Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Today, my 2012 v5 had the engine shut down as I pulling out of the parking space, like the car went in to failsafe mode. I could not get it back to drive mode again and have it towed at the end. My keyless entry was not working lately so I thought that it was because of the weak key fob battery. Unfortunately I could not get my car working even after changing battery and the attempts to start the car with the key fob placing on the start button. The symptoms are very similar to the issues addressed by the 2015 recall. However, I have never taken my car to get the recall inspected.
    1.Am I still eligible to be covered by the recall?
    2. Will they take my car in even though I don't have an appointment since it is kind of an emergency.
    3. How is the experience of the recall, in terms of time of repairing, and other things like courtesy car.

I'm afraid that there are much worse problems to my car. Anyone has experienced the same problem and got some input for my case? I will call the service center in a moment to inquiry my problems. Much appreciated

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    How old is your 12V battery?

Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Check the voltage of the 12 volt battery, with a multimeter, with the car off.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What they said- and let us know.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    call them and ask. if they aren't busy, they will take you, but it's unlikely.

what recall are you referring to?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If your inverter is dead, all bets are off without previously doing the recall which updates the firmware.