1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

advice needed: traction light on full time

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by TharakaD, May 6, 2015.

1. TharakaD

TharakaD Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Bungee. It's 2010 model, actually it's manufactured 2009 November

2. TharakaD

TharakaD Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Checked with Toyota Lanka
    They were so resistive and found out on google that dragging brakes is a common issue many doesn't notice.

Toyota was putting MPG drop and reduced pickup on for due engine tune up. For that difference I was not convinced.

Today morning opened the bonnet to realize brake fluid over the max. Then I. Reduced to mid level. Now everything seems fine again.

Earlier week had 70,000km service at Toyota (mind you not dealer) who asked me to flush brake fluid. I refused and said its only due at 80,000km
    And now I can connect the dots.

Saw some articles on google higher brake fluid level has problems with regenerative braking

What say you..

3. TharakaD

TharakaD Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
  4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Is your car working well now, without any current issues?
    2. The brake fluid level in the 3G reservoir will vary substantially, depending upon whether the brake actuator pump recently operated. After the pump has recently run, the level will drop. If you leave the car for a while with the hood open, then after you return in a few hours you will find the level has risen back up. At that point, the level should be at the top mark in the reservoir if the brake pads are new.
    3. This issue of varying brake fluid level is especially pronounced with 3G. I haven't noticed that as much with Classic and 2G.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. TharakaD

TharakaD Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Thanks Patrick..

Announcement is news for me.

Got your point. But I remember making note of over max level brake fluid before I put new pads few days ago.

I do feel now it's normal, and recovered (mileage & pick-up). But maybe it's too early to say

So, you think this cannot be the cause...

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, I do not know if an excessive brake fluid level would lead to the brakes dragging or not. Nevertheless if your car is good now, that is what counts.

TharakaD likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If the car's been sitting and you get in thru passenger side, reach over and release the hood latch, without opening driver's door, you DON'T activate brake pump, you should see fluid level at or near MAX (assuming pads near new):

image.jpg

If you then open and close driver's door the pump activates and over course of 10 seconds or so the level drops, to be like this:

image.jpg

So if you checked via first method and level was above max, that being the "highest" case, you should be ok removing some, bringing it down to max. If your pads are partially worn it's still a bit too high, you mainly need to keep in mind to remove a bit more while putting on new pads.

TharakaD likes this.