1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Advice needed - Vandalism: broken side mirror

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jimmythefung, Mar 22, 2013.

1. jimmythefung

jimmythefung Jimmy Fung

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've been researching and reading about the Prius v on this forum and last week I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the Prius v 2013.

It's only 4 days old and just this morning this happened:

[​IMG]

There is not a single scratch nor dent anywhere, and I was certain to have folded in the mirror.
    So it appears this was someone using their body weight to snap the mirror of my beloved prius.
    This happened in Jamaica, Queens, NYC (where I live)

I think filing a police report would be useless. And since I have $1000 deductible with Geico, calling them wouldn't be helpful either.

Right now I'm fixing the mirror in place by circling electrical tapes at the joint. All the electrical works just fine (the glass can rotates and swivel just fine from the driver control panel).

This is my first car purchase ever. I have no idea what's the best way to get it fixed. Hopefully it won't be too expensive.

-Should I call my dealer and have them repair it? Does the basic warranty cover this?
    -Should I look for replacement parts online (ebay for salvaged parts)
    -How much would it cost to repair? Is it possible to replace just the broken joint/housing case or the whole thing must be replaced?

I am in need of advices, any help will be greatly appreciated. :(

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Sorry to hear that, and welcome to the world of senseless (or jealous) vandalism...

Not a warranty issue, and your deductible makes it an unproductive insurance claim issue.

Dealership will likely charge full price for OEM parts and labor, plus possibly painting the part to match your Magnetic Gray.

You may wish to look into a pair of LED turn signal mirrors at what is probably half of the dealer price for OEM.

3. labell

labell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Ouch, that hurts! I accidentally broke the side mirror on my 2008 and although it worked with taping as yours does, the dealership said they had to replace the entire thing for a couple hundred bucks.

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    First step, I would think would be finding out how much the Dealership full repair option is going to cost. That's simple enough, and probably could be done over the phone.

If you can afford it? Problem solved.

If it is beyond your range? Then I'd investigate E-Bay and other options. Too bad....really too bad. Good Luck.

5. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'll bet you can use a mirror off of numerous Toyota cars (probably Corrolla, Camry, Prius, Prius C, etc) but I'm not positive. I would call a local scrapyard and they will tell you what cars have the same mirror and where the nearest availability is.

If it were me, I would take the broken pieces off and attempt to glue it back together with some epoxy.

6. MadHungarian

MadHungarian Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Fond memories of Jamaica , Queens, my very young boyhood home. Here is what I would do:

Find dealer price, as suggested above.

Call or go by (better) an independent body shop or repair shop, tell them you will bring the car in when it is best for them, (no hurry). Get their price(s).

My girlfriend had her driver's side mirror ('05 Prius) ripped off by a passing motorist sometime in the middle of the night. She did as above, and had the repair done for about 1/2 the dealer cost.

And surprisingly, the offender came by a couple of days after the incident, left a note on the car, and offered to reimburse the cost of the repair. So there is hope . . . . . .

7. jimmythefung

jimmythefung Jimmy Fung

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks so much for the replies!

It's a big ouch indeed man. I am as heart-broken as when my crush said she won't sleep with me.

So it's clear this is basically a money out-of-my-pocket misfortune. Taking on the suggestions, I went by a repair shop where the mechanic (after scanning the VIN bar code off the bezel frame by the driver's seat) told me he can get the OEM part at dealer's price of $230 + $50 labor.

$280 total doesn't seem too bad.

I am going to check with dealership to see what they offer but I suspect it's gonna a be price tag that I can't handle.

Meanwhile, does it sound believable that the repair shop have access to new OEM parts? (I'm worried they'll be secretly giving me used/inferior third party replacement parts)
    Also, various online sources and scrapyards have replacement mirrors (~$150) from the Prius v 2012 model, any info on whether they fit interchangeably with the 2013 Prius v?

8. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    They have access to them and you have access to them. See this link
    2012 Toyota Prius V Parts - 2012 Toyota Prius V Replacement Parts
    It will fit.

jimmythefung likes this.
  9. CLUBGUY

CLUBGUY Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Had our drivers mirror assembly broken by a road repair crew...$$$ as I recall was mid 300.00 to replace..
    BTW they order the colored piece to match...At first blush your cost appears a fair price..

10. jimmythefung

jimmythefung Jimmy Fung

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    V
  11. jimmythefung

jimmythefung Jimmy Fung

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    V
    So we decide the electrical tape is doing a good enough job. The tape is not particularly noticeable, but we'll get the mirror fixed anyway in a few weeks, with OEM parts ordered from the site, along with windows tint done.

I feel so helped on the fourm. And I've learned quite a few things. Many thanks.